beginner editing question

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. I'm new to photography and editing and have a simple (i hope question). Playing around with affinity on mac (10 day trial). I have a simple image - item on black background. Some of the background is not as I want it (slightly off colour and some chalk smudge) how can I edit this out so background is all uniform?
obviously i could take again by just trying to learn basics of editing as the weather is rubbish and better than What is on tv

Thanks for any help

That's a bigger question than you know. Show us the picture?

Thanks. Uploaded as medium quality jpeg but using raw in affinity. Looking to make the right top corner look like left top corner. As I mentioned, its just a quick photo to learn editing on not because i like the image itself.

pic10.jpg

hi james had a little play in Lightroom and the chalk was quite tricky all i did was add some contrast to the whole picture and upped the exposure slightly i used the clone tool to get rid of some of the chalk hth Mike

not my photo by Mike Rockey, on Flickr

I was busy writing whilst Mike was posting so I'm skipping his efforts. It's an even bigger question since it's hard to stop the subjective intruding. I like the top right in your original, it provides a good counterpoint to the central part.

Easiest maybe, you could just find the tone-curve adjustment panel, and drop the mid-tones. Beyond that, you've got to get into selections (of areas of the picture that you can then adjust independently). Looking at this particular image, with its limited tonal differentiation between what you want and what you don't want, all I can think of is a manual selection via mouse or tablet of the central area so that you can isolate it and then switch to work on its inverse, the periphery. There are several ways of making a selection, which is an area that you can make active or inactive. The tools are in the toolbox. For instance you can select by tone or colour, but in this case the image is too undifferentiated. You can select by shape, which could work, since you seem to have a perfect circle. Or you could select by drawing with a virtual pen (Bezier).

It's about isolating areas of the picture so that you can alter them independently. No single method, I've started with the easiest.

If I may make a comment, it's to do with the highlights (white areas). The smaller ones, the scribbles of light on the cut surface of the lemon, seem acceptable, but the bigger ones amongst the surrounding ice are questionable. The psychology is that they draw the eye through their brightness, but then there is no detail to be found, which can be unsatisfying.

Interesting stuff, but I wouldn't count on the solution being quick. The image certainly has potential. If you could revert to the raw and process to tame the highlights mentioned, it would be even better.

Last edited:
In Lightroom, if you draw a radial filter around the glass, you can lower the exposure drastically in order to get a uniform black color.
You can then finish it off with the stamp tool in Photoshop.
And I agree with the highights on the ice

pic10.jpg

I just copied the left half over to the right half in PS and masked out certain areas, might be a good workaround?

Or if you like perfect symmetry...
pic10.jpg
Can't do a lot about the reflections with the jpeg.

OOPS - just noticed the hairs on the side of the glass. They will be tricky to remove tidily.

Back