Critique Beginner - First lot of animal pics

Not a fan of the elephant one, but then again I'm not really a fan of photos of abused animals.

How do you know the picture of this domestic (captive?) elephant is abused? ... There's a picture in the set of what to me looks like a Border Collie... a dog often put to work as a sheep dog. Both animals are being use to fulfil a task by humans yet you single out the elephant as being abused. What about the Dairy cow? Just an observation.

Anyway Matthew, lovely set of photo's. I especially like 4.

Number 3 is epic, clearly, as you've already garnered a reaction. ;)

Last edited:
How do you know the picture of this domestic (captive?) elephant is abused? ... There's a picture in the set of what to me looks like a Border Collie... a dog often put to work as a sheep dog. Both animals are being use to fulfil a task by humans yet you single out the elephant as being abused. What about the Dairy cow? Just an observation.

Because elephants have really weak backs and I don't imagine its a light load....

Edit: I agree with number 4 though and also its hardly your fault hes on the elephant

Last edited:

@LizTheKid - Thanks! I tried to capture the atmosphere/culture of Nepal and India. I hope to get better at quickly using the right setting on my camera for the correct photographic opportunity. I could have done with a quicker shutter speed as the lower monkey is slightly blurred. Have you done much travel photography yourself?

Because elephants have really weak backs and I don't imagine its a light load....

Edit: I agree with number 4 though and also its hardly your fault hes on the elephant

@Keed32 - It seems i may have upset you :( I myself would rather pay to go to an elephant orphanage rather than for an elephant tourist ride. However, I was trying to capture the Indian culture and this is what I was presented with.

A question for you both :- I am going to Morocco at the start of Feb with my canon 750D and Kit Lens 18-55mm. I am worried that if i do not buy a bigger zoom lens I will miss out on photography opportunities left, right and centre. Any Advise??

Many Thanks
Matt

Keed32 - It seems i may have upset you :( I myself would rather pay to go to an elephant orphanage rather than for an elephant tourist ride. However, I was trying to capture the Indian culture and this is what I was presented with.

It's not your fault as all mate, sorry if it came across like that :). Me and ah lass are off to Thailand in 3 weeks spending over night in Elephant Nature Park in Chiang Mai (check it out) so spent alot of time reading up on ethical treatment etc. I was just on one haha.

It's a good photo and it is a good illustration of it. :).

As for the lens advice, I've only been behind the camera 14 months myself but I'd say get a longer lens.

A question for you both :- I am going to Morocco at the start of Feb with my canon 750D and Kit Lens 18-55mm. I am worried that if i do not buy a bigger zoom lens I will miss out on photography opportunities left, right and centre. Any Advise??
You should try the Talk Locations section, maybe search in there and then ask

Last edited:
I don't claim to be a pro or anything but my least used lens is a 75-300mm that came bundled with my canon. I like it, but if I didn't have it I don't feel like I'd miss all that many shots. I probably use it more for candid portrait than anything else, as you can stand out the way and take sneaky shots when no-ones looking.

When I'm travelling, I get far more use out of my 50mm prime and 18-55mm. Particularly because this type of photography tends to be a bit more 'street' in my experience.. Or certainly the types of shot I take are.

I've got a few attachments too.. Like wide angled lenses which help to get a better perspective for architecture and landscapes etc.

To be honest though, I had a 350d with kit lens for a good couple of years before upgrading and got some amazing snaps on that which any additional kit I've bought hasn't bettered.

Last edited:
I like the money crew one, on flickr thou it looks like youve turned into a painting thou.

Shame about the ozzy one, none of it appears to be in focus.

keep up the good work

Back