Beginner Beginner Help Needed!

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
Im looking to get a camera for my other half for christmas and I'm completely clueless!

She's an artist looking to photograph her work to allow her to make reprints to sell so image quality is key. She won't use it for anything else i don't think.
She has an iMac with CS6 so editing won't be an issue.

I have a budget up to around £500.

Ive got no idea where to start with a camera, lenses, equipment etc.

all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

You say reprints so can we assume that her work is 2D?

It partly depends what size prints she's wanting.

A macro prime lens may be a better bet for rectiliniar drawing of the image.

Think about lighting ...

Last edited:
2D.

Its mostly colour oil paintings but she does a bit of pencil and spray work

I'd work back from the print size wanted. If it was say 20" wide then at a resolution for print of 300 pixels per inch that's 6,000 pixels to be produced directly by the camera sensor (best), or from the camera sensor via interpolation (resizing) in Photoshop.

I'd be thinking of an APS-C dslr body and something like a 90mm fixed focal length macro lens. Either could be bought used but you might not favour that as a present? Cameras are a bit personal in how they feel in the hand and how accessible the controls / setup menus are.

Modern digital cameras are full of bells and whistles far in excess of what's needed for still work in controllable lighting. And the lighting could be daylight, but needs assessment / control - to govern reflections in particular ...

Last edited:
Back