Beginner - horses - DSLR or not?

Name
Ralph
Edit My Images
Yes
A friend has just asked me for a recommendation for his sister, whose passion is horses, and wants a good camera for show jumping/dressage and occasional cross-country. Having hopefully asked all the obvious questions, I think she needs something with a quick shutter and a long zoom but can't see her getting into photography in a big way, so perhaps an entry-level DSLR.

Following some brief research, my suggestion is a Nikon D3200, onto which she could strap a decent lens. I don't particularly follow developments in CSC/Compact/Canon/Sony/Panasonics so any other suggestions gratefully received.

PS she's about 5'5" and of medium-build so am also wondering about size of camera relative to her hands?

The D3200 is what ive got and i'd say it would be a good choice. Its now just little over £300 on amazon and would suit her needs. Ive also got the 55-200mm lens for it which was £110. The size of the body its self would be fine for her as its relatively small for a DSLR

What about a bridge camera?

No particular recommendations, but plenty around at various prices. I use one (an old Canon S3is) whenever I want good telephoto range but without the faff of carrying a DSLR kit.

Downside is sensor size, but upside is price, convenience and many with OVF.

Last edited:
D3200 with 70-300mm kit lens would be a good starting point. Kit would struggle in low light/indoors where you would need a fast prime lens and if really dim, a body with a sensor that does a good job at high ISO. Problem with this country is good light is pretty rare!

What about a bridge camera?

No particular recommendations, but plenty around at various prices. I use one (an old Canon S3is) whenever I want good telephoto range but without the faff of carrying a DSLR kit.

Downside is sensor size, but upside is price, convenience and many with OVF.

To capture jumping horses you need accurate focus and rapid actuations which I suspect the bridge camera could not deliver on.

To capture jumping horses you need accurate focus and rapid actuations which I suspect the bridge camera could not deliver on.

Have to agree, most of the bridge cameras I've come across have a shutter delay which means you miss the action you are trying to capture

Thanks all. Confirms I wasn't missing a trick. Will suggest she goes and handles a D3200.

Back