Critique Beginner in need of advice

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, thanks for taking the time to look at my macro attempts, all advice welcomed.
D3200 with 85mm micro, tripod, ISO400 centre weighted, f8 1/200 in sunlight.
Even with a tripod I am finding focus an issue and with sunlight behind me getting correct exposure (some clipping) and shadows etc
bumble bee.jpg

I think this is a particularly difficult scene. The bee has areas of fur which are intrinsically dark, and it has an eye which is highly reflective. And bright sunlight is a harsh light. So this is a high contrast scene lit with harsh light in which it is probably inevitable that, for a single shot using natural light, you will either blow out the highlights or block the shadows, or as in this case quite possibly, both. (I'm not sure about the shadows. They are not as black as they look - they can be lifted somewhat.)

Another issue appears to be subject movement. It looks to me as though the rear end of the body was rotating, I suspect counter-clockwise. The front near side leg was also moving. It must have been moving moderately fast because it shows up even though you were using 1/200 sec. The movement gives what might be taken as an out of focus appearance, but looking at the fine detail in Fast Raw Viewer (I know, it isn't a raw image, but it shows fine detail for JPEGs as well) it looks as though the focus is well-placed, and there is plenty of fine detail.

NOT MY IMAGE - Compuwight - bumble bee fine detail
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

One option would be to soften the light using flash. It may seem counter-intuitive that adding more light to the scene will soften the light, but it does work. If the flash light is the dominant illumination (which on a bright day it might not be) the effective shutter speed will be the length of the flash pulse, which will generally be shorter than 1/200 sec, and much faster at lower flash levels. (For example mine typically runs at 1/1600 sec or so for the level I tend to use it at.) This will help to "freeze" any motion. If you use flash setting up some diffusion for it will be important.

Another thing you could try, if using natural light, is exposure bracketing, and then merging the images on your PC. This way you can get highlights and shadows to show up, although the overall look of the image may be a little flat. There is HDR software that can help with that. Depending on the capabilities of your camera and flash, you might be able to use exposure bracketing using flash. In this case though, with the movement, exposure bracketing would not have worked, with or without flash.

Nick, thanks for all the info, it will take me a while to understand and experiment all that you have said. I do have a ring flash so I will try that... Thanks again for taking the time to explain. :):)

Nick, thanks for all the info, it will take me a while to understand and experiment all that you have said. I do have a ring flash so I will try that... Thanks again for taking the time to explain. :):)

I never use a tripod for macro

Is it a ring flash or a led light
A flash will need diffusion to get best results

Look here

and here

and this post about what flash does

Last edited:
I never use a tripod for macro

Is it a ring flash or a led light

Thanks for taking the time to help, I will follow the links you suggest:-

I have tried without a tripod but I need to practice focussing otherwise I rock back and forth like a nodding donkey !

Marumi DRF14 Ring flash dedicated to Nikon, which I understand to be a flash ?

I have tried without a tripod but I need to practice focussing otherwise I rock back and forth like a nodding donkey !
If its not practical to lay down to steady yourself, or wedge yourself up against a fence, have you considered a mono pod, to help you steady yourself and the camera.?
TBH I have used a tripod on many occasions, but of course it depends on what you are shooting, Aphids on climbers for example, are pretty static and if you are patient ants will also come into view.

As said above a ring flash, or even a defused top mounted flash will greatly help freeze the action with hand held shots.
TBH there are no hard and fast rules, "how to get the shot" do what works for you (y)

Tried experimenting with a ring flash and HH (Monopod seemed no better than Tripod for me) to improve exposure. It certainly reduced clipping but focus not perfect, more practise required but thanks again for all the advice.

As I complete aside I learnt a valuable lesson today, DO NOT get close to bees with damp hair, they like to drink the moisture !:eek::eek:

honey bee 2.jpgbumble bee 2.jpg:oops: :$

DO NOT get close to bees with damp hair, they like to drink the moisture !
A Bee-service I call that (y)
#1 is much better (y)
#2 you missed the focus on its head, it seems to be somewhere around between the wing root and leg not easy I know,
I have loads of those :D

Back