Beginner looking for new lens to replace 18 - 55mm Canon kit lens

The 2nd shot definitely looks handheld and with settings of f16 1/25 sec I can see why your not impressed, you really need to keep an eye on shutter speeds or use a tripod and perhaps think about your focus point.

To get the best out of your landscape photographs, a tripod is required. A shutter release cord helps as well, to ensure my camera is absolutely as still as possible. Even with your camera on a tripod, pushing the shutter button can cause a slight vibration, which will make your image less sharp.

In situations where you may not have a tripod and need a steady shot, you can use the mirror lockup feature, which moves the viewfinder mirror out of the way. Then, a few seconds later you can take the photo. This ensures that even the movement of the mirror does not create any vibration that could cause loss in sharpness of the image.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/09/26/how-to-take-sharp-landscape-photos/
Thanks for the tips, unfortunately there isn't always enough room for a tripod as in this case. I was squeezed between a fence and a row of parked cars on a narrow verge so I couldn't even get a different vantage point. Focal points are definitely something I have to practice in landscapes, estimating a third into the scene is not my strong point! As for shutter speeds, yes, you are right there, a lot of the time I remember to check but sometimes I just get so caught up in what is in front of me I forget. Ah well, I will keep practising and look into getting a new lens to help me with the times I get carried away ;)

I'll have to keep my eye out for the lenses out of the kits then, thanks for the tip.

Back