Beginner looking to buy his first slr...

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I've been lookin to purchase a decent slr camera for sometime and I'm now ready to take the plunge! I've read lots of material, though I don't know anyone with an interest in photography so I've struggled to get unbiased advise. So... I'm hoping the good folk on here might be able to help...

I spend a lot of time outdoors and so I would like to be able to get good action pics of my dogs and some decent pics of wildlife.

From what I've read, I will need to eventually spend big money on a decent zoom lens to be able to do exactly what I want to. Sadly... I'm impatient and I would like to start learning about photography sooner rather than later.

So... with a budget of around £500 - £600, what start up kit would you recommend?

I've considered the canon 450d and also the nikon d40, which appears very reasonably priced.

If anyone has a decent start up kit that they're looking to sell, please let me know.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Gavin

Apart from Nikon and Canon don't forget the likes of Pentax sony etc.

The important thing is to go to the shops and paly with the bodies to find the one that feels right for you and has a menu system you are comfortable with.

Welcome to TP

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You'll find that theres a lot of information on this topic on the forum, have a search around and I'm sure you'll soon find what you need to know.

But essentially the two cameras you have suggested are very good indeed although if you were going to go with the D40, you probably want to try the D40X or even the D60. But I believe the D40X and D40 are no longer available as it was replaced by the D60. 450D is a very good camera too but do also look at the other brands as not to limit your choices.

Hi Gavin and welcome.

This is a subject which appears regularly and the answer is always the same ; go to a camera shop and handle the kit, see which suits you better before you decide. I went for Nikon because ergonomically they felt better in my hand than Canon but equally at the level you want to start at there is very little between the 2 quality of picture wise, nor between the other majors like Sony and Olympus.
You could do a lot worse than having a look at the classifieds on this forum as you will get far more for your money 2nd hand and the good folk on here, generally, really look after their kit.
So good luck whatever you decide and if you need any help with anything ask in here, someone will know the answer and there is no such thing as a daft question.

Cheers

Andy

wrong thread

Echoing what the others have said, you can't go wrong with the 450d and d40, I'd just get whichever one you can get a good deal on.

Personally I have the D40 and it's great :)

ive used a d40 and i thought it was great for the money

Many thanks for all the replies so far, they're much appreciated. This is a very welcoming forum!

Thanks
Gavin

HI there,

welcome to the forums (says another newbie :) )

Like other have said trying out things first hand is the best thing to do.
but don't forget 2nd hand since you can get alot more than you can do new.
I personally have the Canon 400D and really do love it. I've seen some people selling them for as little as £200 with the kit 18-55mm lens. This leaves you with quite a bit of cash left from your budget to get that zoom lens you want.
I'm sure others will agree that the camera isn't the real investment in photography. It's the lenses. Get a good lens and it can last you 20+ years. Wheras camera bodies are much more easily replace (and much more often). So get yourself a decent second-hand body and then go for the best glass you can with the rest of your budget.

The Nikon D40(x) and 400D are no longer made so you can get them for cheap and they are as good as any of the new entry-level cameras. I can't speak for Sony or Fuji but I'm sure it's similar with them too.

Keep us informed if you go for something.

Tom N. :)

as whats already been said....try them all out at your local jessops to see which you prefer for handling,menu's etc....

i have a like new sony A350 which i'm thinking about selling since i upgraded to the A700...if it's a camera you like,come back to me and maybe we can sort out a deal ;)*

*shameless sale plug...sorry!

try them out at Jessops or Currys.
Then go to the classifieds here.
Whatever you buy, you wish you bought a better kit, so this is a good place to do that.

Some excellent advise folks and a few pm's too. Thanks again everyone. I'm off to Jessops on the weekend which I hope will help me make a choice. In the meantime I'll keep scouring the classifieds on here.

Thanks
Gavin

If your interest is in wildlife and nature, I would recommend that you get a kit with a lower cost standard (wider) lens and plan to pay more for a better quality longer lens which you might get more use out of.

Back