Beginner Macro issues

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello! I am new to the world of photography and since getting my first Camera (Nikon D3100 with a kit lens) I've been trying to learn the ropes.

I have tried to have a little play around the house and in the garden with droplet photos, and miniature figures and I seem to be struggling with focus and grainy shots.
I'm not sure if it's just my set up and I'm being a little bit optimistic with what I have, but regardless I'd like to be pointed in the right direction.

I think the first set I have was that my ISO was perhaps too high and hence ended up grainy, however when reduced it was under exposed. Perhaps the inbuilt camera flash and a table lamp with a few sheets of foil isn't ideal?
Then on my last set I had my ISO set to 200, but I'm not sure if the lens is appropriate for these sort of photos. I couldn't get much in focus despite trying various apertures between 4.6-14 (these are very small figures 1.5-2cm max). However even the areas that are in focus don't really have that "popping' out of the screen so you could almost touch it feeling.

These are my first few attempts at playing around with this stuff, it's been fun creating the scenes but I must admit slightly frustrating not getting the results I want. I'm looking to see if theres something obvious I am missing.

Cheers
James

Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 14.34.50 by James Cooke, on Flickr
Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 14.36.30 by James Cooke, on Flickr

Mini-0021 by James Cooke, on Flickr
Mini-0040 by James Cooke, on Flickr

I must admit slightly frustrating not getting the results I want
Always start by defining what you want. If there's a specific image you want to imitate the style of really look at that image and break the style down into the elements that make it work, then you can figure out what you need to do to achieve this.

Ignoring the first two images, because milk drop shots aren't something that interests me (but in passing I think it's your use of light and shadow that's the issue).. with the last two I think you've gone with what was there at the time you found it. When shooting miniature scenes it's no different to shooting full size, real life scenes - it's all about the story/narrative the scene encapsulates. Working with miniatures makes it easier to rearrange the scene and take control of the lighting to focus, compared with full-scale real life. Take the loco shot, it makes a decent enough record of the loco but what's the human element and story behind the figures in the scene?

Thanks for the feedback!

Funnily enough I never thought to imagine the scene as a representation of a story/narrative. You're bang on though, I literally grabbed whatever I could dig out of my Grandparents old train and figure collection and decided to try and photograph them randomly as "realistic scenes".

I think if you used a tripod you will get sharper images, also try a set of extension tubes, to focus closer to the subject, they are quite cheap on eBay, movement is the enemy of macro or close up shots. Also use the timer to take the image to rule out camera movement as the shutter is operatedand I am no expert but I hope this helps

Back