Beginner need help

Name
Sandy
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a caonon800d which has a movie function.
The camera comes with a 3 - 10 digital zoom. I am presuming therefore it does not have an optical zoom? If no, would I be able to get a different lens so that I could get an optical zoom?
Also, I am using my phone to operate the camera remotely and I am unable to use digital zoom with my phone. Is it possible to get a remote control that could zoom and mAnual focus?

Hi Sandy and welcome to TP

You have said you have the Canon 800D but which lens or lenses do you have?

Secondly, if you can say what App you have on the phone for accessing the 800D that may help others better understand what you are experiencing and perhaps suggest alternatives and/or other ideas?

HTH :)

PS AFAIK there are no Canon lenses that have power zooming so whatever you decide to do you are very unlikely to be able to zoom the lens through an App, focusing maybe but not optical zooming!

Many thanks for the quick reply.
I am using a 50mm lens and use camera connect to connect the camera to my phone.

OK

Maybe explain why you need to shoot movies using the Canon Connect App?

NB having had a quick look at/about the Canon Connect App ~ it seems that not all functions are available for use with all camera models..........so no idea whether control of the digital zoom is possible using the App?

With your 50mm prime lens, it is not a zoom therefore = no optical zoom!

If you were to but the 18-55mm zoom lens (commonly included AFAIK as a kit lens), yes you could be manually zooming but as mentioned is is not possible to power zoom it.

So, if you can add some details about just what you are trying to do and why you are wishing to do it that might help any TPers to address the requirement(s) :)

Back