Beginner Beginner off to iceland

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
hi, Just joined the site as per welcome forum post, I am a complete beginner and have been given a canon 1000d with kit lenses. I am off to Iceland in December so hoping to photograph the northern lights. I have been reading up on how best to shoot so going to practise before I go.
My question is I need a new lens as mine won't be sufficient from what I've read. I have been looking at a Sigma 10-20 f3 for £329. Would this be a good choice bearing in mind my camera? Or would I be best getting a new camera as well (maybe a 750d) or waiting to see how I get on with the one I've got.

Thanks

Hello James and welcome to TP.

You mentioned "kit lenses". Which lenses do you have? I don't know your camera but I have taken photos of the Northern Lights from Scotland with my DSLR and the 18-55mm kit lens which has a maximum aperture of f3.5, so if one of your lenses is similar I don't think there will be a problem, and I'm sure the lights will be more intense in Iceland than northern Scotland.

You'll need a tripod.

As you have only just got your camera I wouldn't think about buying another until you have explored everything your current one can do.

Dave

Your kit sounds ok - from what I gather you really do need a very wide angle lens to take full advantage of the aurora.

Having been to Iceland, it's one of those places best explored without a camera glued in front of your face, just enjoy the experience...

However, as well as Tringa's advise to get a tripod make sure you have a remote timer, cheap Chinese copies are only £15. Plenty of practice. Also lots of microfiber clothes.

I’d echo the above- I took an Olympus Em-10 with 20mm lens - you need a tripod. I got some shots using a gorilla pod (and remote timer) but nothing to write home about although they weren’t that bright. It can be very cold stuck out in the hills, so just wrap up and enjoy the sight rather than worry too much about the photos

Last edited:
There was a hint of the aurora on one of the other nights, Frank but only a hint. The last night's show was truly spectacular though, even if we were a fair way away from Bismark or Pierre!!!

As wide and as fast as possible for lens choice - I used a fisheye (8mm f/4 Sigma) for the shots I took (until the front element got too spotty with droplets from Gullfos - and the cold made a lens change inadvisable!) Used the Mk 1 eyeballs after that and just enjoyed the show.

Seeing the Northern lights is as much about luck as anything. Firstly, you need them to actually show and secondly, you need clear skies to see them. Good luck!

Yes Nod. There was a hint but little more. When the big display came it was clearly visible in daylight. Must have been special because the locals came out to have a look see.

Rumour has it that the farmer has now withdrawn access across his land to reach the wreck.

Yes Nod. There was a hint but little more. When the big display came it was clearly visible in daylight. Must have been special because the locals came out to have a look see.

Yup, we were down the road at Geysir and saw the start through the street lights so headed back up to base for the main show.

Rumour has it that the farmer has now withdrawn access across his land to reach the wreck.

From what I've read, you can still get to the wreck but only on foot or on organised tour vehicles. Might have changed since I last looked for news on access to it.

From what I've read, you can still get to the wreck but only on foot or on organised tour vehicles. Might have changed since I last looked for news on access to it.
Mr Icelandic farmer probably wants to stop ooligans like us lot charging across his ice fields. Remember Andy cracking the windscreen on his Landcruiser? We were a bit gung ho!

I heard that the real reason was that Justin Bieber went and shot a video there without asking him and then the place got swamped with pre pubescent girls trying to share the experience.....and getting lost.

Thanks for all the replies. I have a tripos and had planned taking it. Today I was talking to a friend who is in to photography and is just planning to upgrade his Sony a6000. He has offered it to me at a good price. I really like the size and weight of it compared to the canon. Comes th a 18-50 and 55-200 (think that's the ones) £450. Would this be a decent upgrade (even though not a dslr)

Just my 2d James but whatever camera you decide to take make sure you take spare batteries. I go to Northern Norway most years, and have been shooting in minus 24 before now when a black camera turns white! Batteries do not last long. Keep them in your pockets close to you to keep them warm. Also take some microfibre cloths for drying the camera off, and remember to acclimatise the camera by slowly introducing it to the cold. Not whipping it out of a warm vehicle into the bitter cold.
Red lens torches to stop screwing your night vision a good idea too. Or get some 'rear tail light' repair tape from Halfords to put over your head torch / lights.
If you have the weight allowance take two bodies (or cameras) I had one Camera die from exposure while I was in Norway. Having said that I don't think Iceland will be as cold.
I don't know the A6000, what you really need is a wide aperture and manual control and hopefully something that's not to noisy at high ISO.
Have a great trip and good luck with the lights fingers crossed for you, I warn you though once you have seen them once you will get hooked!

Thanks for all the replies. I have a tripos and had planned taking it. Today I was talking to a friend who is in to photography and is just planning to upgrade his Sony a6000. He has offered it to me at a good price. I really like the size and weight of it compared to the canon. Comes th a 18-50 and 55-200 (think that's the ones) £450. Would this be a decent upgrade (even though not a dslr)

A quick Google tells me that's a decent price for the camera and two lenses and I'd have thought that an A6000 would be a move up in image quality from your Canon with the Sony AFAIK giving you more dynamic range and lower noise and probably more malleable files and these things may all be important shooting in low light but be aware that your Canon is a DSLR and the A6000 is a mirrorless camera. I much prefer mirrorless cameras but this is a personal thing.

Hi I ended buying the Sony a6000 with a 18-50 and 55-200 lens. Loving it so far. Will the 18-50 be OK to shoot the lights (if I'm lucky enough to see them!)

Back