Beginner photographer please critique.

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone.

I'm a beginner photographer from UK. I picked up a nikon D5100 3 years ago and have only just started using it, as i'm slowly starting to understand it I'm enjoying it more and more.
Anyways here is what I think is a lovely portrait of my girlfriend and I would like it to get some feedback by you guys, if you have the time I'd appreciate it a lot.
Thank you
Gareth

https://www.flickr.com/photos/119662681@N02/13622552043/

Hi Gareth, welcome to the forum.

This is a really nice portrait, with great eye contact coming from your young lady, and lovely sharp eyes. The downside for me is the background. Its distracting and doesnt really add anything to the image. Personally, I would crop the left hand side leaving you with more of a square format, and that way her face will be framed by the furry hood/scarf combo.

Just my opinion obviously (y)

Hi Gareth and welcome!:wave:

She's gorgeous and love the eye contact.. i tend to agree with Nick on the background being just a touch distracting, i'd love to see a square format and lose that bit but still a lovely shot(y)

There is a link somewhere floating around on how to add photos, i'm about to go out but i am sure some lovely munchkin will be a long and direct you. or post link :D

Last edited:
Hi Gareth,

I think the background is fine! With a good use of shallow depth of field drawing your eye in to the main subject where the skin tones are bang on.

Great Effort!!

Thank you all for the feedback. I really don't want to crop this image so maybe next time I will try getting in closer and see if I can get a nice picture that way.
Thank you all.

Back