Critique Beginner Pictures

Personally I think it all depends what you're after with these shots. If the emphasis is on capturing the moments it would be fair to say you have. The first two seem sharp enough with sufficient depth of field in respect of the main subject. It's worth noting how angles of major items in the back-ground when looking at composition, to make those items add more impact to an image. The exposure on the upper cheeks of your subject, more noticeable in shot two is a little over exposed for my personal taste. The dog, it's difficult to know what to offer you, it is very saturated with quite a narrow depth of field due to the aperture setting which I'm guessing was to keep shutter speed fast enough. It's an image which reminds me of the capabilities of modern cameras, but because it can be taken, showing the dog at that point in time I'm not sure what you'd do with it beyond that.

Regards

Tim

No1 you have a Cow a tad to close to the subjects face - exposure looks fine

heres a quick edit- I think it looks better without the Cow :D
nNPLbYZ.jpg

No2 you cut off the top of her hat - exposure looks fine too, You could sort of fix it - like this....
jLt5X49.jpg

No3 far too saturated as stated by Tim

Les ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Really like #2, it looks very natural or "genuine" maybe a better word to describe it. I agree about the ppl on the left, just crop them out.
As for #3, already said by @juggler, there's a bit of a wb issue. Having said that it looks like it was taken towards the end of the day, when the sun was low and maybe was a bit warm looking. So i don't think a big adjustment is needed, also a faster shutter speed would have helped. You could have pushed the iso up to achieve this.

No1 you have a Cow a tad to close to the subjects face - exposure looks fine

heres a quick edit- I think it looks better without the Cow :D
nNPLbYZ.jpg

No2 you cut off the top of her hat - exposure looks fine too, You could sort of fix it - like this....
jLt5X49.jpg

No3 far too saturated as stated by Tim

Les ;)

@Lez325 Thanks for sorting these two out for me. I will take into consideration these changes when I am next shooting a similar shot :)

Shot 3 is too Orange? Yeah the sun was pretty bad on this day.

The second one is great. The only change I'd make is to zap the figures in the background.

@juggler Ah, to make it more focused on the subject and pure. Thanks, again ill make sure I remember this next time :)

Really like #2, it looks very natural or "genuine" maybe a better word to describe it. I agree about the ppl on the left, just crop them out.
As for #3, already said by @juggler, there's a bit of a wb issue. Having said that it looks like it was taken towards the end of the day, when the sun was low and maybe was a bit warm looking. So i don't think a big adjustment is needed, also a faster shutter speed would have helped. You could have pushed the iso up to achieve this.

@Nostromo - Yeah i did panic regarding settings as I was trying to take landscape photographs, then changing to dog action shots :( I just need to get used to changing setting on my camera faster.

@Lez325 - Thanks for that Lez, looks much better.

Back