Beginner Snaps

#1 might have had more interest if it had shown the premises that the sign was indicating (it is also a bit soft).
#2 is an interesting experiment in depth of field but lacks any real interest.

Cheers gramps,

Perhaps if I had someone in the underpass...?

Possibly, some point of interest ... might be a good place for some light-trails if it's safe at the right time:)

Keep at it, Phil - Failure is the path to success and we all learn by our mistakes. Even an image you bin will have taught you something however small. :)

It seems to me that you already have a good eye for a subject and that's fundamentally important. Sharp focus etc will come as you become more familiar with your camera.

:)

Cheers gramps,

Perhaps if I had someone in the underpass...?

Possibly, some point of interest ... might be a good place for some light-trails if it's safe at the right time:)

....Why was the first thing I thought of a hooker with fishnet stockings? Always good in black & white :D

One thing I was taught early on was always be responsible for everything that is within your frame. In #one the subject is the sign but you left in things (left side) that are distracting and draw your eyes away from the subject. This is exactly what you do not want. When composing a shot I will look at a subject and look around it to see what I can use to display the subject in the best way. There should be no doubt what the subject is and as the photographer your job is to lead my eyes to that subject. With that said I am going to go against the others on #2. Now I don't know if the depth of field was meant to be this way but I like this shot regardless. It has an abstract look to it. What I like the most however is the use of leading lines. They are all over this picture and lead your eyes towards the end of the tunnel and into the darkness or unknown. That is why I think this shot works being out of focus because you know you are being lead out of the tunnel but don't know where that will lead you. Take note on how the lines direct you but also remember that the bright spots of a shot will draw your eye to it and in this shot actually lead your eyes with the lines they form. There are lines all over this shot that not only lead you but add texture to the shot. I suggest that you study this shot and while it is fresh on your mind look up leading lines and general basic composition. I hope that helps some.

Thanks very much for your response. I'll be taking note and will do my research on leading lines!
I appreciate your time to look at my shots!
Thanks
Phil

First one is nt doing much for me. It's too soft, or too cropped in from a larger frame, and while teh sign in amusing, it needs some context by a wider shot I think

I like the second though. Only that very extreme right hand side being in focus is quite a brave move compositionally, and it's loaded with emotion. I quite like shot 2.

Thanks!
I think I should of took more time and care as to what I was getting in #1.

Back