Beginner Beginner with none of the gear and no idea!

Edit My Images
Yes
I've wanted to get into photography for a while, but I've been put off by the cost of equipment and the complexities once I start to read about it. I'm particularly interested in underwater shots as I love snorkelling.

I have no idea where to start. Camera, lenses, online course, photo editing!

All I have right now is my iPhone, I did have a waterproof compact (Olympus TG-870), but it just broke. Thinking of getting a go pro for the water, as waterproof housings for SLRs plus dome lenses are $$$$$

Any tips on how to get into it with out hurting my brain or my wallet? Where to start??

Many thanks :ty:

I've wanted to get into photography for a while, but I've been put off by the cost of equipment and the complexities once I start to read about it. I'm particularly interested in underwater shots as I love snorkelling.

I have no idea where to start. Camera, lenses, online course, photo editing!

All I have right now is my iPhone, I did have a waterproof compact (Olympus TG-870), but it just broke. Thinking of getting a go pro for the water, as waterproof housings for SLRs plus dome lenses are $$$$$

Any tips on how to get into it with out hurting my brain or my wallet? Where to start??

Many thanks :ty:
Welcome to TP.
I was thinking go-pro for your snorkeling

There's no way to do serious under water stills photography without hurting your wallet. Best value will be a GoPro, followed by a compact in a housing.

One of my colleagues is a diver, and he's recently upgraded to a large sensor compact in housing with lights for a big improvement in the quality of his pictures.

go pro would be my first recommendation too.

underwater drones start at around $1000 usd. i've only ever used the flying drones, but we've had the underwater drones used at work for inspections after major storms and other incidents. the photos were fairly decent. not sure if you could use this while snorkeling or if you'd have to be above water with the controller.

I agree that the obvious choice is a GoPro for underwater shots. I have one and its great fun for all those scenarios where a camera is in danger of getting wet or you want to tuck it somewhere for highly unusual viewpoint.

On the down side, the labyrinthine menu system is a pain in the backside, especially if you don't want to rely on the auto settings. The fixed focus, ultra wide angle lens makes for a certain type of distorted, eyecatching image, but is pretty useless for anything else.

My camera club had a presentation from this guy a few weeks ago, was excellent. He has a part 1 and 2.

A quick look at his website will give you an idea of what's possible.

He does have a shedload of the proper kit tbh.

Dougie.

Don't waste your replies here chaps, the OPs not been back on here since the day after s/he posted. :rolleyes:

The fixed focus, ultra wide angle lens makes for a certain type of distorted, eyecatching image, but is pretty useless for anything else.

You must have an old gopro... I have got the original ultra wide, wide and linear which gets rid of the distortion

Back