Beginner's kit-bag - what would you recommend?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all... other than my "Welcome" post, this is my first in the forums, so please forgive me if this has been asked and answered before! :)

My question - what would you recommend for my photography kit-bag (if anything)?

Let me provide some background...

I'm a beginner - I can take OK macro shots of watches (my main hobby) and have learned to use some basic natural lighting and diffusion techniques - including making a DIY light tent - to reasonable advantage.

My equipment for the last couple of years has consisted of a Nikon Coolpix S1 super-compact camera, a Hama tripod and a computer (currently a MacBook). However, I'm expecting delivery of a recently-ordered Canon PowerShot G9 which - while by no means a DSLR - seems to offer a good deal of flexibility and performance for a newbie like me :)

I want to improve my macro photography, but also want to extend my repertoire to cover landscapes and architecture. I'm also very fond of black and white photography (from an artistic consumption angle), and would love to try my hand in that area.

Oh, and I live in S.E. England (like most of the membership here, I'd guess?), so much of my photography in Autumn and Winter will be in poor outdoor lighting! :)

So - back to my question! Given the above (including my choice of semi-compact camera over a DSLR), would you recommend any accessories at this stage?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Hi!

Was there any particular reason why you chose the G9 over a DSLR?

Ive heard alot of good things about the G9, havent hada chance to play with one though!.

As for acessories, there isnt really anything that will help improve your shots other than a tripod and a big memory card, you mention you can take ok macro shots, a DSLR with a decent macro lens will help you take beautiful/awesome pics of watches!

Obviously, cost is an issue with SLRS, good lenses are expensive but definately worth the money if you want the best photos!

(y)

Thanks for the response :) I was beginning to get paranoid that non-DSLR ownership might be frowned upon here! LOL!

I'm covered on the memory cards, with a couple of good class 6, 4Gb SDHC cards already here and waiting - plus, I already have the basic-but-serviceable Hama tripod! :)

Believe it or not, even the G9 was a stretch for me... it's bigger, and bulkier than I'd have liked (I played with one in a shop, but ordered it through Amazon). However, in the "power off" state, it's still much smaller than a DSLR with lens, which is important to me - I want something I can carry easily. I've read many reviews that suggest this is a great camera for DSLR users who want something more compact. I'm coming at it from the other end, really... I'm a compact user who wants more control, better performance, some room to grow my skills and semi-professional build quality. The G9 seems to deliver in these respects, if reviews are to be believed. I'm quite sure there's a DSLR in somewhere in my future, but it would be in addition to a compact rather than instead of :)

Cheers

Mike

you ll have to keep me posted on how you get on with the g9. i m thinking about getting one myself as an everyday carry around camera . my dslr is great but you cant put it in your pocket:)

See my other post - not good, I'm afraid. The physical build quality is pretty spectacular at the price, but I had two models with fairly minor but still-unacceptable faults. The first one arrived a few days ago, before I joined TPF, and had a greenish "blooming" at the edges of the LCD screen. The replacement G9 arrived today, and has a stuck bright pixel (or cluster - it's quite noticeable) in preview mode only - so an issue with the viewfinder sensor. That problem is something I've read about two other buyers experiencing. So, regrettably, I'm sending the second G9 back as well, for a refund. I've bought a DSLR (the Nikon D40X) and - like you - will be on the lookout for a compact I can carry around easily (not for a while, though!).

Cheers

Mike

Back