Beginners portrait photography set up with hot shoe flash

Name
June Lloyd
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm used to photographing in natural light, but for a change, Im about to do my first portrait photography sessions, in a room, with clients sat against a white wall.
I will be photographing from my Canon EOS 5D Mark III, with two speedlight flashes, (Canon 430£XII and 600EX-RT).

Im looking for advice on a transmitters, pocket wizards, canon transmitters that will work with an old and new canon speedlites?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Yes
The cheapest option is some dumb triggers, try Yongnuo RF603 or similar

The better option is a YN622c-TX and a pair of YN622c's

But the bigger question is why have you chose that lighting pattern?

It's not a winning formula, IMHO

Yes, it will produce results, in the sense that you should be able to get adequately exposed shots.
But the wall will photograph as off-white, and will be in focus, which is fine if that's what you want. And your lighting arrangement will cast a double shadow of your subjects on each side of them. Not ideal...

Sorry but you probably shouldn't be shooting "clients" at all if you don't even know the basics of setting up 2 flash's to fire at the same time.

Oh, That's very harsh. I'm purely asking for advice and want to get it right. I was advised by another photographer to use this very basic set up. I only have an old and new flash, I wanted to be sure they spoke to each other. I do not want to be forking out on my first studio portrait photography session. I'm not charging a fortune and If this goes well, I will use the income to purchase better equipment for next time. As I said before, I am used to handheld candid photography, not studio.
I've been looking into speed lite trransmitter ST E2 and pocket wizards, but just don't want to spend out and get it wrong.

Constructive criticism would be preferable.

Yes

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Could you maybe suggest a better lighting solution then using just two flashes please?

Yes

I think Phil has forgotten that Yongnuo has a clone Canon RT system. The ideal solution for you is a Yongnuo YN-E3-RT master transmitter https://www.amazon.co.uk/YongNuo-Sp...F8&qid=1485733278&sr=1-3&keywords=yn+600ex-rt and Yongnuo YN E3-RX reciever for the 430EXii gun https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electron...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9Q12M0D6TGVFAWEHKDJ5

Being harsh, the problem with your lighting is really that you don't seem to know how to use it. If the advice you've been given comes from an experienced source and you follow it closely, then you should get something usable but that approach is very limiting and certainly won't advance your photography. If you want to get serious about lighting, and you surely should, then studio heads and a bit of practise and learning is the way forward. Decent mains powered studio lights start from about £100.

And welcome to TP. You'll find plenty of advice readily forthcoming :)

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Could you maybe suggest a better lighting solution then using just two flashes please?
Ok
As Robert says, there's loads of videos on YouTube.

The problem is we don't know:
What your space looks like
What your clients look like
What you're trying to achieve

Garry pointed out the flaws in the advice you were given, again you need to hear this constructively, when asking for advice for business there's a tendency towards blunt, we're not sugar coating because you need a thick skin to succeed and because no amount of blunt advice off the Internet comes close to how you'll feel if a paying client is disappointed.

My general advice though:

Never charge a client for a service you can't guarantee providing. Would you pay a mechanic who was cheap but might not mend your car? A half price decorator who didn't finish the job properly?

No matter how 'little' you charge, you have to deliver a usable product.

BTW Richard was right, I missed that one of the flashes was a 600

Oh, That's very harsh. I'm purely asking for advice and want to get it right. I was advised by another photographer to use this very basic set up. I only have an old and new flash, I wanted to be sure they spoke to each other. I do not want to be forking out on my first studio portrait photography session. I'm not charging a fortune and If this goes well, I will use the income to purchase better equipment for next time. As I said before, I am used to handheld candid photography, not studio.
I've been looking into speed lite trransmitter ST E2 and pocket wizards, but just don't want to spend out and get it wrong.

Constructive criticism would be preferable.

I don't think it was harsh at all. If I booked a mechanic to do some work on my car I wouldn't be too pleased that they had to go to a mechanic's forum to ask how to do something as basic as inflate a tyre no matter how cheap they were.

Ok I'm in thick skin mode.

The aim is get quite a bit of practice in beforehand so I really understand the setup and know what I'm doing on the day. I have 2 months until the session.

I don't do things by halves and I'm quick to learn and if you don't push your boundaries you'll never move on. This is not a high end photo shoot, just a series of portrait shots for a company who want photos of their staff on the web. They'll be taken in their offices, (which I will assess before the day), in a room with white walls. I need to carry the equipment as there's no where to park. So it all needs to be relatively light. It's not going be a portfolio piece, but a very good way to push my boundaries on the lighting front. I'm going above and beyond what they need, but would like to do it properly.

I've been watching quite a few tutorials on youtube and yes, my suggested lighting setup for two flashes is not ideal. So will look to move lighting around/behind/off centre front etc.

My biggest query is which are the best cost effective transmitters to make the canon 600 and 430 speedlites talk to each other. Lots of suggestions for canons Speed lite Transmitter ST E2, but wondered if there was an alternative?

Once again. Many thanks for constructive criticism.

The st-e2 is obsolete technology, both expensive and crap.
The ST-E3 is whats designed for your ex600.
There's a Yongnuo version of that device which is great VFM, and you can get a compatible receiver for your 430 ex.

Linked by Richard above.

Last edited:

The aim is get quite a bit of practice in beforehand so I really understand the setup and know what I'm doing on the day. I have 2 months until the session.

I don't do things by halves and I'm quick to learn and if you don't push your boundaries you'll never move on. This is not a high end photo shoot, just a series of portrait shots for a company who want photos of their staff on the web. They'll be taken in their offices, (which I will assess before the day), in a room with white walls. I need to carry the equipment as there's no where to park. So it all needs to be relatively light. It's not going be a portfolio piece, but a very good way to push my boundaries on the lighting front. I'm going above and beyond what they need, but would like to do it properly.

I've been watching quite a few tutorials on youtube and yes, my suggested lighting setup for two flashes is not ideal. So will look to move lighting around/behind/off centre front etc.

My biggest query is which are the best cost effective transmitters to make the canon 600 and 430 speedlites talk to each other. Lots of suggestions for canons Speed lite Transmitter ST E2, but wondered if there was an alternative?

I'm trying to be constructive here...
First off, you need to choose your equipment based on your needs, not on the 'fact' that there's nowhere to park - there's always somewhere to park, even if it's the chief executives personal spot, and if there really isn't then your clients need to pay for taxis, this is part of being professional. Photography is important, so are photographers, that's your starting point.
Your transmitter question is really simple, and has been answered, and the transmitters are really a non-problem, your problem is that you need to understand a couple of things, posing and lighting, and you also need to create a workflow, both on the day and for your post production, so that everything goes smoothly and so that you end up with consistent results.

You have the right attitude June (y)

Get the kit you need and get some practise. You should be fine with speedlights for this job but looking forward, studio heads are the way to go if mains power is available (via an extension cable if needs be) or there are now quite a few excellent battery powered studio strobes about with few downsides apart from cost. Studio heads have modelling lights, fast recycle, and plenty of power - not that you'll need extra power for this job but you will for say larger group shots or when working outside in daylight. Speedlights and studio heads work well together. When it comes to portability, any lighting kit tends to be a bit cumbersome but it's the stands and softboxes etc that make up the bulk.

This is basic stuff, but here are a few things I wish I'd known when I started out:
- Brightness reduces quickly with distance basically following the inverse square law that says double the distance equals quarter the brightness - a drop of two stops. That's why the white wall immediately behind your subjects will appear grey unless you put some extra light on it.
- The larger the light source, the softer the shadows, and size is relative to distance (and the size of your subject). So a softbox moved further back becomes harder, closer becomes softer.
- Light bounces/reflects off a surface at the same angle it strikes, like a snooker ball off the cushion.
- There should be only one key/main light source (with very few exceptions). Even if you have six lights, just one will be doing 90% of the work. All additional lights should have a particular and complimentary purpose, eg background, accent or hairlight etc.
- A reflector, like a white/silver fold-up jobbie for a tenner, is like having another light and very easy to use.

Keep us posted and good luck :)

Yes. I had already thought about reflector. Forgot to include it in my list of things. I do have one.

Work flow is sorted. I know how many I'm shooting and allocated time slots for each. I have a data base of names and shall tick them off as they are photographed, keeping tabs of who's photographed when. I'm used to processing in photoshop and have allowed time for this also.
I've done plenty of retouching in the past. But hoping not to do too much post production work here.

I'm quietly confident regardless of a little inexperience in studio lighting. But preparation and practice I'm sure will aid me beforehand. I will share post my results when done and I look forward to hearing the critics comments!

Thank you for the 'positive' feedback!

Last edited:
'Quietly confident' is good and it'll see you through if you put in some basic practise to back it up. Experience comes in when the client changes things at the last minute, as they are prone to do with no idea of the photographic implications. More people than originally listed, adding groups shots of the teams and a big one of them all together outside where the light/weather is terrible, or the original room isn't available and you have to work in the lobby - that kind of thing... Learn, practise, read, ask, practise etc. But there's no rocket science involved ;)

Yes you're right. I've had this happen to me on a number of occasions when photographing. But always manages to wing it.... somehow. :)

If you have two flashes already, you just need to add triggers, light stands and a softbox or umbrella.

Point the 430EX at the white wall/background, (use the wide panel and possibly a brolly to spread the light out) this will make sure your background remains white.
Put a bar-type stool a couple of metres in front of the wall
Put subject on stool
Put the 600EX on a stand either in a softbox or firing through a white brolly, put this to the left or right of the camera, just above the subject's head height.
Add either a set of Yongnuo 622C triggers (£50ish for 3) or the setup with YN-ET-R3 and YN-E3-RX to fire the flashes.

The total kit is only:
body and lens (maybe a backup body if you have one)
flash x2 (plus spare batteries)
light stand x2
umbrella x2
triggers x3

Not exactly a big kit, easily carry-able. But if you think you'd be better going by car, make sure you let the person who booked you know that a parking space or taxi is a requirement.

I did a set of portraits with a class of thirty 8yr olds with pretty much this setup (though with a black cloth backdrop), setup the kit, lock in your settings with a test shot or two, then each one will walk infront, sit down, it'll probably take 3-4 shots to get the right expression, then onto the next.

Once you've done more of these, and are likely to do more, then you could add bigger strobes, softboxes, etc.

Best advice yet. Straight forward and to the point. Thank you very much.

Back