Beginners SLR

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

It's been a while!

I'm after some guidance, my 14 yo daughter is showing an interest in photography and wants to get a more capable camera than the bridge camera she has.

I want to get her a cheap Canon DSLR, so that she can make use of some of my lenses etc.

Now back in the day, I'd have considered a Canon 400D - but I suspect this is quite an old system now, so what's the equivalent/more up-to-date entry dSLR that we should consider?

Thanks,

Matt

For a younger person or indeed anyone other than a film age relic :D I'd suggest mirrorless as it is the future and IMO gives more options than a traditional old style DSLR.

I'd only suggest a DSLR if someone was on a very limited budget and wanted to use existing DSLR lenses and had little or no interest in the newer features and abilities. For someone younger and potentially just getting into this I think mirrorless is the way to go.

For someone starting from scratch, I'd agree that mirrorless is probably the right choice but the OP has stated he has an existing Canon DSLR system so adding an extra body to that seems the better solution.

Last edited:
Matt, I'm not up on Canon camera but I think the best current choice would be the EOS 2000D, going up to the EOS 250D if you think it's worth the extra.

Or compromise something along the lines of the canon eos.m5 with adaptor .so she could have mirrorless and use existing canon lenses

All,

Thanks - I couldn't decide whether to go mad or not, she's literally just feeling her way into Photography - she's got a good eye but I'm not sure she's mega-bucks committed if that makes sense?

That's a good call with the EOS Mirrorless with an adaptor - will give that a look, will also look at 2000D.

Just want something capable but without spending mega-bucks to find she doesn't take to it if that makes sense.

Will do some more digging.

Thanks all - really appreciate your thoughts!

Matt

I had a 400D when they were new and it's capable of taking some nice looking photos. However, it will be showing its age these days in terms of both dynamic range and noise at higher ISO settings. How important would that be? Perhaps have a look at used camera prices and see what a mintish 400D is going for these days, compared to a newer alternative? Also, consider buying from a reputable dealer such as MPB, Wex, etc. so you have some guarantee (unless the guarantee is the same price as replacement camera!), as they 400D is getting on a bit now and may be more likely to stop working.

Last edited:
I had a 400D when they were new and it's capable of taking some nice looking photos. However, it will be showing its age these days in terms of both dynamic range and noise at higher ISO settings. How important would that be? Perhaps have a look at used camera prices and see what a mintish 400D is going for these days, compared to a newer alternative? Also, consider buying from a reputable dealer such as MPB, Wex, etc. so you have some guarantee (unless the guarantee is the same price as replacement camera!), as they 400D is getting on a bit now and may be more likely to stop working.

I see her next step in cameras in terms of something to get her something more capable than a bridge camera - I don't think she'd be too worried by Dynamic Range or High ISO yet....

400D is going for about £50 from MPB - which is what got me think about whether there's a newer version of those or just for her to try that and see what she thinks :)

Decisions decisions :)

Something like a Sony A6000 with the kitlens is very compact and capable. Much better than any dslr in its pricerange...... In my eyes YMMV

400D is going for about £50 from MPB - which is what got me think about whether there's a newer version of those or just for her to try that and see what she thinks :)

At 14 there will be many things vying for her attention quite soon, might be wise to start low! :)

I see her next step in cameras in terms of something to get her something more capable than a bridge camera - I don't think she'd be too worried by Dynamic Range or High ISO yet....

ISTR the original kit lens for the 400D (I forget the zoom range now) was quite good, so perhaps see if you can get a package deal for both so she can go off unsupervised without the risk of one of your lenses getting accidentally lost or damaged. She can use your lenses for 'best' then.

i suppose the one thing in your favour with camera gear is that if she doesn't stick with it you can likely sell it on and recoup some cash or keep it and use it yourself although i'd assume a lower end dlsr is of little use to you if you have already moved beyond it with your own kit

At 14 there will be many things vying for her attention quite soon, might be wise to start low! :)

That's exactly my thinking - something with 'power' without the expense :)

ISTR the original kit lens for the 400D (I forget the zoom range now) was quite good, so perhaps see if you can get a package deal for both so she can go off unsupervised without the risk of one of your lenses getting accidentally lost or damaged. She can use your lenses for 'best' then.

That's a really good idea actually - like the thought of that, thank you! :)

Back