Behind the "Iron" gate

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
I was considering this as my week 4 of my 52 challenge but have opted for another.
This is a Russian church based here in Nice...One of many beautiful buildings.
This particular shot was taken with a recently acquired Ferrania Elioflex 6x6 camera.
All the shots have come out with this "dreamy" blurred/soft/OOF look around the edges only the center area being reasonably sharp.
Not a big issue for me but maybe some of you have an idea what is causing it?
Someone has already suggested that the effect may work very well with portraits...something for me to try out next time.

neg9levelled.jpg

Shot at 2012-01-25

Can't offer an explanation for the 'dreamy' look sorry but I'm finding the gates somewhat distracting
.....the top of them lines up with the screen edge but as I scroll down they seem to be way off :thinking:

Looks like your film isn't sitting parallel to the lens, which is also causing the distortion Martyn pointed out. Take the lens off (if poss.) with a roll of film (or just backing paper to save ruining a roll) in & see if you can work out what it is that's not sitting right. Really nice camera though, I've been looking at some TLRs like that recently & very nearly bought one 'til I got the Yashica fixed!

-J

Thanks Joe, the film not lying flat would make sense to the softness and the distorted gate.
Unfotuanatley it's not possible to remove the lens.
I've put an old roll of film in and initially when in place it does not sit flat but there is a pressure plate on the inside of the rear door which is obviously there to hold the film correctly in position.
I'm wondering if it isn't placing enough pressure on the backing paper hence the distortion.
Everything appears to be in place and working as it should but obviously something soewhere is adrift:cautious:

I'd have thought it should be flat even before you close the back door. If something is going in the way (towards the lens) that's holding the film then the pressure plate isn't going to make a difference. The way it's distorted it looks like the middle is fine & the outside/corners of the film are heading towards the lens a bit. If it's the other way round, though, (as we all know things go backwards with film) then it's probably the pressure plate giving too much pressure & pushing the centre towards the lens. The only way you can really tell without using a roll every time you make a small change is to remove the lens or focussing screen though. Might be best to take it to a shop (y)

Back