Critique Beijing, China

Enjoyed them all but the "beware of the dog" sign was the best:rolleyes:

Not a bad set, you've got some good stuff going on with DoF and subject isolation. Not too sure about some of the distracting foreground elements in a few of them. Definitely a great pick of film and lens, I really like the overall look. What did you shoot these on/with?

Not a bad set, you've got some good stuff going on with DoF and subject isolation. Not too sure about some of the distracting foreground elements in a few of them. Definitely a great pick of film and lens, I really like the overall look. What did you shoot these on/with?

Thanks for the kind words. :)

I used a Bronica SQ-A with a Bronica PS 80mm f/2.8 lens for all of these, mostly with Fuji Pro 160NS film, although two of the night time ones were with Kodak Portra 400.

Which ones did you feel had the distracting foreground elements? I really like selective focus with thin DOF, using the blurred foregrounds and backgrounds to highlight and frame the subject, but the OOF foregrounds came up in the Great Wall thread too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. :)

I used a Bronica SQ-A with a Bronica PS 80mm f/2.8 lens for all of these, mostly with Fuji Pro 160NS film, although two of the night time ones were with Kodak Portra 400.

Which ones did you feel had the distracting foreground elements? I really like selective focus with thin DOF, using the blurred foregrounds and backgrounds to highlight and frame the subject, but the OOF foregrounds came up in the Great Wall thread too.
I'd say the one with the lanterns and the heads at the bottom bugs me the most. The people in the audience in the opera pic are also a bit distracting.

I'd say the one with the lanterns and the heads at the bottom bugs me the most. The people in the audience in the opera pic are also a bit distracting.

Gotcha and thanks for replying.

Yeah, the lanterns one I can definitely see that being the case, although I rather like the audience for a bit of framing in the opera photo (maybe they're just a bit too dark for this to work though?).

I'd chalk it down to a matter of taste. I'm sure plenty others will have no problem and as it always is (and should be) with personal photos, as long as you're happy all is well :)

I really like those, number 1 is my favourite but i really like most of them. You aren't helping my thirst for a MF camera!

Back