Beike ball head

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm after a reasonably priced ball and socket head to support an Eos7D mkII and Canon 100-400mm II. I'd like it to have an Arca Q/R fitting. I had been considering the Pig Iron BH1V, but eBay has thrown up the Beike BH-03. Has anyone got one? Are they any good?

New one to me - I had never even heard of it. However it appears to be similar to heads sold under a variety of names and I am fairly certain that I have tried this head with a different badge. If I am right then it wasn't a bad head at all - though I may be mistaken in my identification.

One thing that I wonder about is what are you shooting with your 100-400? I like ball heads but rarely (if ever) use them for long lenses as they are pretty poor for tracking moving subjects. If you are shooting static subjects and don't need to lock on to them instantly then a good ball head should serve you well, but if you need speed/flexibility then a Gimbal might be better.

Given that you are using a 400mm lens then, perhaps, a better/sturdier head may be a better choice? More expensive (but not silly money) the Sirui K40X and K30X spring to mind (I have the K40X) - nicely made and they perform very well. However if your subjects move then look at a Gimbal - the Lensmaster models are cheap and cheerful - but work well if you are on a budget.

Just food for thought.

Hi John
I'd come to the conclusion the Beike was the same as several Chinese heads, I'm aware lots of factories are manufacturing for 'names' and now selling direct too. The 100-400 is used mainly for architecture and landscape for isolating details. I've got a Lensmaster for wildlife with a Sigma 300-800mm which is an option for when I don't want to carry the 'Sigmonster' around.

A bit "Off Topic" Gordon M but how do you get on with your SigMonster?

I have corresponded with an excellent US photographer who uses this Sigma lens but he continually moans about the lack of IS/VR/OS. I use the Canon 800 F5.6 L IS and never use IS as it mucks up too many shots. Just interested in your observations?

Back on topic. The Sirui K40X will certainly support your 100-400 well - it doesn't do a bad job with my 800mm! I think the K30X would be just as good and a bit lighter. You could also look at the Triopo RS3 (I have had mine for about 8 years). This silly little head has the best lockup of any tripod head that I have tried - including expensive products from the Alps. It is not everyone's cup of tea though which is why I didn't initially recommend it.

There are three things wrong with the RS3. Firstly - it has only one control lever for everything! Brilliant for relatively quick framing but as soon as you loosen the lever everything (panning/horizontal/vertical) lets go. I like this but it is not everyone's idea of how ball heads should work. Secondly - you will need to add an Arca style clamp, which is pretty cheap. Unfortunately Triopo seem to be huge fans of thread-lock so a LOT of Brute Force and Ignorance is needed to remove the original top plate! Thirdly this stupid little £30 head makes my 4 Series Gitzo look bendy! I did say the lockup was good! The ergonomics do not suit everyone - but, as you are looking at landscapes/arc architecture I think this head is well worth a look . Just food for thought?

Hi John
Thanks for the suggestion of the Triopos RS3, the single lock doesn't worry me, but by the time you add a QR it takes it to something like the Pig Iron BH1V. I know some quoted weights are decidedly 'conservative' so for the spec I'd expect several of the 8kg quoted heads to manage much more.
As to the Sigmonster I've only had an initial play with it so far, but the results seem good. I've been hampered by the fact the only tripod I'd got that would support it was an ancient and very heavy Gitzo Studex 401(?) with a Rationelle 5 head which made it almost impractical to use! I've just acquired a Gitzo Mountaineer 3542 brand new for £399 off eBay! So with that and a Lensmaster Gimbal I can now start using it properly. The lens itself came from MPB and cost £2699 so all in all the whole set up was pretty reasonable I think.

Hi John
Thanks for the suggestion of the Triopos RS3, the single lock doesn't worry me, but by the time you add a QR it takes it to something like the Pig Iron BH1V. I know some quoted weights are decidedly 'conservative' so for the spec I'd expect several of the 8kg quoted heads to manage much more.
As to the Sigmonster I've only had an initial play with it so far, but the results seem good. I've been hampered by the fact the only tripod I'd got that would support it was an ancient and very heavy Gitzo Studex 401(?) with a Rationelle 5 head which made it almost impractical to use! I've just acquired a Gitzo Mountaineer 3542 brand new for £399 off eBay! So with that and a Lensmaster Gimbal I can now start using it properly. The lens itself came from MPB and cost £2699 so all in all the whole set up was pretty reasonable I think.

Very reasonable by the sound of it!

Just a suggestion? The GT 3542 is an excellent tripod (you got it pretty cheap too!) but the center column is not ideal for really long lenses. Just in case you didn't know you can use it without the center column using the "Low Level" feature. In other words the top plate can be connected directly to the Alloy part at the bottom of the center column straight through the spider. Does that make sense?!? This stiffens things up a bit and gives a small reduction in weight - handy with the Sigmonster! You probably already know this but just making sure.

My Tripoo RS3 + weighs 330 grams according to my hopelessly inaccurate scales, including the Arca type QR clamp and cost £40 a while back.

Happy new toys!

I didn't know that about the column, typical bloke don't read the instructions! I must try using just the mounting plate....

Thanks for all the advice John, as it's my birthday next week (Friday the 13th ) I decided to treat myself to a Sirui K-30X. Arrived today from Amazon (voucher for £15 off) as I decided the K-40X was a bit too much. Looks good at first inspection, can't wait to try it out properly.

I think you will be very happy with it!

Back