Belated BTCC Knockhill

Edit My Images
No
Some very belated images from the BTCC and related support races from Knockhill in August.
I am atotal novice when it comes to this type of photography and this is the one time a year that I get to have a go at it.
Any feedback and ways I could improve would be greatly appreciated.

BTCCKnockhill2015
by dtennant9, on Flickr

BTCCKnockhill2015
by dtennant9, on Flickr

BTCCKnockhill2015
by dtennant9, on Flickr

BTCCKnockhill2015
by dtennant9, on Flickr

BTCCKnockhill2015
by dtennant9, on Flickr

BTCCKnockhill2015
by dtennant9, on Flickr

From those shots I wouldn't have guessed you are a novice !

Good panning tecniques and well composed shots.
I'd love to get up to Knockhill one day

From those shots I wouldn't have guessed you are a novice !

Good panning tecniques and well composed shots.
I'd love to get up to Knockhill one day
Thanks, I just struggle to find different angles.
I think I might go down to Knockhill for a quieter event as it is just so busy at the BTCC weekend and it is getting busier every year. I did manage to get one of these shortlisted for the Neil Tozer competition, I would recommend you put a couple of yours from Brand Hatch in @coolcat if you haven't already done it.
I would also love to go to some of the other BTCC events but they're all so far away :( Croft is the next closest, so maybe there one day.

Not sure what the Neil Tozer competition is so I'm off to find out ;)

I'm lucky I guess as I'm in easy distance of Snetterton (my nearest circuit) Brands, Silverstone, Rockingham (boring) and Thruxton on the BTCC tour :)

Last edited:
Not sure what the Neil Tozer competition is so I'm off to find out ;)

I'm lucky I guess as I'm in easy distance of Snetterton (my nearest circuit) Brands, Silverstone, Rockingham (boring) and Thruxton on the BTCC tour :)

Last edited:
Some good shots for someone who only gets practice once a year!

You should head along to one of the many track days if you want to find different angles. There's a TrackScotland one at the end of the month (31st), which is free entry and you should be able to drive around most of the outside of the track to explore the whole circuit.

Of your photos, the 3rd on works best for me - nice panning. Not keen on the car angle in the first. #5 is quite soft and also #6 to some extent.

I would also get your sensor cleaned, as you can see quite a few dust bunnies, particularly in the Porsche shots.

Some good shots for someone who only gets practice once a year!

You should head along to one of the many track days if you want to find different angles. There's a TrackScotland one at the end of the month (31st), which is free entry and you should be able to drive around most of the outside of the track to explore the whole circuit.

Of your photos, the 3rd on works best for me - nice panning. Not keen on the car angle in the first. #5 is quite soft and also #6 to some extent.

I would also get your sensor cleaned, as you can see quite a few dust bunnies, particularly in the Porsche shots.
Thanks for your advice @JohnStewart
I do plan to get down to get some more on a quieter day.
I took my camera in to get the sensor cleaned and they wouldn't charge me as they said it was fine. I have contacted Nikon about it and they reckon it could be oil on the sensor. Most of the stuff I do is portraits with a wide aperture and it doesn't show up at all on these types of shots. It is only when I use a narrow aperture like in these ones that it shows.
I plan on sending it away before the end of the warranty but am planning on waiting until I won't need it for a period of time before doing it :)

I agree with John on the angle in #1, the car is nice and sharp though, I also think that #3 is the best of these. The others look a little over exposed with their highlights blown, have you tried any ND filters ( a 2 or 4) for use on bright days , these would allow you to keep away from those high f numbers when panning, which are showing your dust spots up ?

Third one the best for me and I would have binned the last two.

All in all, still pretty good for once a year practice:D

Back