Belguim Grand Prix, Spa 2009

Name
Robbie
Edit My Images
Yes
My wife bought me tickets for the Belgium Grand Prix, for my 30th birthday. and as a complete motorsport photography novice, it took a few days to get the hang of panning. In total I took about 720 shot over the weeknd, thought I'd show a couple, crit welcome! :)
3878509693_ebea20473d_o.jpg

3878510249_24a6ee42fa_o.jpg

3879306540_ca1a6f20d3_o.jpg

3878511925_cf0af21ee5_o.jpg

3879308142_072ea08627_o.jpg

Great shots and great opportunity to go to F1, any good places to stand for taking images as I am going to Spa on 26th-27th of Sept for HSCC 6 hour endurance race.

J

Great shots and great opportunity to go to F1, any good places to stand for taking images as I am going to Spa on 26th-27th of Sept for HSCC 6 hour endurance race.

J

Have a look at my Flickr photo stream. Open the 'Cars' collection, and there are two sets from Spa in there, one from 2008 and one from this year's 1000km Le Mans Series race. There are loads of places to shoot from at Spa, just be prepared for a very long (but well worth it) walk.

Back on topic, nice set, the shot of the Porsches going over the top of Eau Rouge is the pick for me

Really nice pics. It must have been a great Race to go to.
One question in number 2 you have a picture of a Pitlane Electric Go stop thingy in the pits But who was using it as i thought they all stop it after the Dubia Race last year i think.

But i really like the one of Barachelos(wrong spelling) Car with the smoke coming out of it.
Also like Number 1 and 3 and like number 2 something draws me to look at it again.

Looks like you had a good time. I expect it was much better live in this instance than on TV.

Yeah it was the first race I'd been to, absolutely amazing, just want to go again now!!!

Really nice pics. It must have been a great Race to go to.
One question in number 2 you have a picture of a Pitlane Electric Go stop thingy in the pits But who was using it as i thought they all stop it after the Dubia Race last year i think.

But i really like the one of Barachelos(wrong spelling) Car with the smoke coming out of it.
Also like Number 1 and 3 and like number 2 something draws me to look at it again.

The pit lane stop go thing was at the Ferrai garage, not quite sure if they where using it though, as like you I thought due to the mishaps last season they had stoped using it!

Thanks for the comments, hopefully this is someting that I can do more of!!!

Have a look at my Flickr photo stream. Open the 'Cars' collection, and there are two sets from Spa in there, one from 2008 and one from this year's 1000km Le Mans Series race. There are loads of places to shoot from at Spa, just be prepared for a very long (but well worth it) walk.

Back on topic, nice set, the shot of the Porsches going over the top of Eau Rouge is the pick for me

Hi Richard, Thanks! I had a look at your photos from Spa, they are really good, the trouble with the F1 weekend is that it is so busy and you cant really get to many good places. We were at the circuit @ 5:30am on race day to try and get a good space. I would love to go Spa again when it's not F1 weekend. There is a 24 hour 2CV race in October, would be fun watching them go up Eau Rouge!!! :LOL:

For a first time they are awesome, I would be well chuffed with them. You'll have to get down to Oulton a bit, it's not far from you in Runcorn

For a first time they are awesome, I would be well chuffed with them. You'll have to get down to Oulton a bit, it's not far from you in Runcorn

Thanks Richard, I've heard that there is an Aston Martin event next month, I might take a trip over see if I can try and master my new skills! :)

What sort of shutter speed were you using for the pans? I too spent most of my time at Pouhon and i've got very little that is any good. Most are sharp on only one part of the car.

3881981455_36d5fcb679_o.jpg

3881981269_e2f72b99a7_o.jpg

Last edited:
Very good set, one too many McLaren shots for my liking though...
Your panning technique looks fine, I think no.5 may be just a tad OOF.
No.4 is just fantastic, best one for me, great composition (y)

Ferrari used the traffic lights on Friday, not sure why? I think they were back to the lollipop for the race.

What sort of shutter speed were you using for the pans? I too spent most of my time at Pouhon and i've got very little that is any good. Most are sharp on only one part of the car.

Hi Mate, for the F1 cars I was using between 1/200 to 1/320, for the other cars I felt that I could go a little slower, maybe down to 1/160. Anything slower i was just gettng blurred images. I did set the camera to shutter priority so that I didn't have to worry to much about the correct aperture.

I like your composition of Vettels car, from my limited knowledge of motorsport photography, which is only what I've read in books I think that the aperture you have used is too big!!! I hope that this helps. :)

By the way, where abouts were you sitting?

For 1st time to F1 - amazing shots! Should be very proud! Went to Spainish GP in May, amazing time and an immense feeling and sound!!!

Great shots, you have a natural talent for it! (y)

For 1st time to F1 - amazing shots! Should be very proud! Went to Spainish GP in May, amazing time and an immense feeling and sound!!!

Great shots, you have a natural talent for it! (y)

Thanks Dave, you should see some of the shots that I took on Friday, didn't realise how fast the car actually go!!! lol. Got plenty of shots of the track! Absolutley amazing the the noise and feeling you get from the F1 cars. Looking forward to going to another one maybe next year. Are you going to any others?

Back