Bembridge Marsh/Pond Derelict Shed

They sure have a story to tell, I wonder what they were used for? Judging by the baths, Poss bathroom manufacturers.

Not really sure on the history of the building but it is now all boarded up and derelict buildings always attract me as possible subjects. The whole building has a few inches of water from the pond covering the floor. I had to shoot through a broken window. I was attracted by the light coming in and the reflections.

Judging by its location next to the old railway line I guess its an old goods shed or locomotive shed. Certainly seems long enough. With is close location to the marsh and the sea on the other side of the road I guess the baths are related to some fish-based enterprise of the past.

There was a strange collection of things inside but I took these through a broken window as the building is well secured from road side. Would have loved to have been able to wade round inside for better angles and a nosey round.

Last edited:
A nice set of images. For me the interior ones are the best, the exterior shot does provide a context though. Really like the colour and the reflections in the last one and the clutter of the second one. For me there is a lot going on in these shots. I am a fan of this almost documentary style of shot.

Last edited:
I'm now starting to love #1 & #3. Please beam me up.....

Certainly will Scotty(y)
Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. To be honest once I saw the place it intrigued me but I didn't know why? Very limited acces ie: a broken window one side and a lake the other. I am sure we all have subjects that draw us but they are difficult to shoot or we don't really know what we want from the shot.

I do like these, especially no. 3. There is mileage in the reflection of the windows in the groundwater. You've captured something good and I think that with a bit of luck and the right time of day you could get something stunning.

Disagree on the B&W idea, I the warm colours in these images take them away from being "yet another gritty urbex shoot" .

ok shots...

these style shots tend to work really well with HDR adding to the image, to make a little more timely....

I do like these, especially no. 3. There is mileage in the reflection of the windows in the groundwater. You've captured something good and I think that with a bit of luck and the right time of day you could get something stunning.

Disagree on the B&W idea, I the warm colours in these images take them away from being "yet another gritty urbex shoot" .

Thanks for all comments guys, I do agree that late evening sun coming through the windows would probably improve them. Also agree with Terry that a subtle HDR may help.

Back