North England Bempton cliff early morning?

Edit My Images
Yes
Bempton cliff have been on my list of places to visit for birding.
I saw the video by Nigel Danson which looks to me like it's shot from Bempton cliffs.

View: https://youtu.be/KIGQRNuhiFU

I always thought the area was gated and limited to opening times which starts at 9.30am.

obviously they are there much earlier than that. Do they have some kind of special permission or are there areas you can access 24 hours?

Some help and information would be much appreciated.

Yep. Not sure if all of it is. But there's plenty of it.

I keep threatening to go for sunrise. Last time I went there was a fog/haar. Couldn't see any birds.
We are planning to stay near York for a few days.

We'll spend a day at the Bempton cliffs as a family. On other days I'd like to make daily trips in the mornings while my family have their lie-in and then get ready for rest of the day.

So hopefully at least one or two days will be "productive" even with UK's weather

Last edited:
It can get very misty in the early morning, as said.
Actually the cliffs are accessed by a public footpath, the RSPB (understandably) tends to channel folk through the Visitor Centre ... and paid entry.
So you do not have to pay, even if you are not an RSPB member, but bearing in mind the facilities available, it is no hardship to join the RSPB or pay to use the facilities. :)

It can get very misty in the early morning, as said.
Actually the cliffs are accessed by a public footpath, the RSPB (understandably) tends to channel folk through the Visitor Centre ... and paid entry.
So you do not have to pay, even if you are not an RSPB member, but bearing in mind the facilities available, it is no hardship to join the RSPB or pay to use the facilities. :)

Thanks for the information. Is the public footpath easy to find?

I have signed up in the past and need to renew. I cancelled last time because I was out of the country a lot for the last 12 months.
Renewing now is as good a time as any.

It's about an hour from York. The roads are mostly small and through villages.. I didn't realise when I stayed in York last weekend. Worth the visit though! Have a great time.

Used to study/work in York. Also visited my old friends every year. Unfortunately the pandemic kinda ruined everything but I'm looking forward to restart again.

Last edited:
Unless its changed in the last 12 months you can access the car park anytime. There is a gate to the left of the visitor centre that gives access to the reserve prior to the visitor centre opening.

Most importantly though check the weather forecast before a morning visit. If its sunny then the sun will be blasting straight into your face - given those conditions I wouldn't even go, its horrible. A cloudy sky on the other hand gives you excellent opportunities, but the next check is the wind direction.

If an easterly wind is forecast you will get the birds landing facing away from you. You might still get some good flybys, but best conditions for mornings are a west wind with light cloud cover.

For a first time visit, I'd suggest walking down the path by the visitor centre towards the cliffs, then turn right and go about 10 minutes along the path until you come to a decked area called Staple Newk. It's easily recognisable due to a huge rock cutout shaped like a letter 'J'. There will be countless gannets on there and if the wind is behind you they will glide in and almost stop as they try and land. It's like shooting fish in a barrel in those conditions!

You can also get good flybys there as they tend to circle round looking for a landing spot.

For the closest flybys, you're better off at the other (left when you first hit the cliffs) end of the reserve where there is a decked area on 2 levels. You can get quite close here as they fly in closer, and it also gives you chance to see chicks on the cliffs and maybe puffins.

Personally, I much prefer evenings, again preferring a west wind to get the birds facing me. If its sunny you can get gorgeous light and if its cloudy you can get lovely flat white detailed shots of the birds

Mike

Unless its changed in the last 12 months you can access the car park anytime. There is a gate to the left of the visitor centre that gives access to the reserve prior to the visitor centre opening.

Most importantly though check the weather forecast before a morning visit. If its sunny then the sun will be blasting straight into your face - given those conditions I wouldn't even go, its horrible. A cloudy sky on the other hand gives you excellent opportunities, but the next check is the wind direction.

If an easterly wind is forecast you will get the birds landing facing away from you. You might still get some good flybys, but best conditions for mornings are a west wind with light cloud cover.

For a first time visit, I'd suggest walking down the path by the visitor centre towards the cliffs, then turn right and go about 10 minutes along the path until you come to a decked area called Staple Newk. It's easily recognisable due to a huge rock cutout shaped like a letter 'J'. There will be countless gannets on there and if the wind is behind you they will glide in and almost stop as they try and land. It's like shooting fish in a barrel in those conditions!

You can also get good flybys there as they tend to circle round looking for a landing spot.

For the closest flybys, you're better off at the other (left when you first hit the cliffs) end of the reserve where there is a decked area on 2 levels. You can get quite close here as they fly in closer, and it also gives you chance to see chicks on the cliffs and maybe puffins.

Personally, I much prefer evenings, again preferring a west wind to get the birds facing me. If its sunny you can get gorgeous light and if its cloudy you can get lovely flat white detailed shots of the birds

Mike
Hey Mike, that's really some great information. Thank you very much for that. (y)

Off to bempton on thurs for 10 days . Hopefully get some good shots with the new gear .. agree with all of mikes advice above .
Just to add it’s more than just gannets , there’s puffins ,razorbills,fulmars etc plus you often get kestrels and peregrines hovering at eye level in front of you . And come the evening there’s a good possibility of a barn owl on the hunt .especially this time of year .. plus all the small birds around I.e whitethroats , yellowhammers , even grasshopper warblers ..the mrs will be with me eyes and ears like a s***house rat she misses nothing …
two other good tips in the area is Filey dam ,squaco heron there last week . And Scarborough marine drive there’s usually peregrines nesting up there

Off to bempton on thurs for 10 days . Hopefully get some good shots with the new gear .. agree with all of mikes advice above .
good luck (y)
mind if I ask what the new gear is?

Just to add it’s more than just gannets , there’s puffins ,razorbills,fulmars etc plus you often get kestrels and peregrines hovering at eye level in front of you . And come the evening there’s a good possibility of a barn owl on the hunt .especially this time of year .. plus all the small birds around I.e whitethroats , yellowhammers , even grasshopper warblers ..the mrs will be with me eyes and ears like a s***house rat she misses nothing …
two other good tips in the area is Filey dam ,squaco heron there last week . And Scarborough marine drive there’s usually peregrines nesting up there

thanks for the tips and birds to look out for. Looks like later in evening is better than earlier in the morning.
That actually makes it better for us/me.
I still haven't decided on a date but end of the week is looking promising now. I have been waiting to get a car which I have finally found. Need to finalise the deal and then Bempton will probably be our first trip with the car.

good luck (y)
mind if I ask what the new gear is?

thanks for the tips and birds to look out for. Looks like later in evening is better than earlier in the morning.
That actually makes it better for us/me.
I still haven't decided on a date but end of the week is looking promising now. I have been waiting to get a car which I have finally found. Need to finalise the deal and then Bempton will probably be our first trip with the car.
the olympus E-M1X +300mm f4 +1.4tc all new to me this year ..
and as Chris says above quite often flamborough and north landing is usually better for puffins
I'm hoping to at the very least get a trip on the Yorkshire belle boat .out of bridlington harbour to get under the cliffs ,but also have a couple of other aces up my sleeve weather dependant

Puffins are certainly a treat but surprisingly not going for them in specific. I have been to Skomer a few times for them and that was really amazing.
Just hoping to capture a nice variety of birds and certainly gannets too.

the olympus E-M1X +300mm f4 +1.4tc all new to me this year ..

ah nice. Look forward to seeing your shots.
150-400mm is the dream lens to get on m43. Keeping an eye out for some kind of a deal (can't afford the new price) but not many about.

send me a p.m when your going if i'm around we could meet up if you want , just finished packing the car and trailer ready for a early start tomorrow

I wont actually get to the cliffs till Saturday at earliest , got to set up the tent ,unpack etc as long as all goes to plan .. Friday will be chill out day ,shopping etc then get going Saturday

folk with long lenses that’s 90% of the people there LOL

Last edited:
I went last year after visiting Flamborough. I found many were taking great effort to avoid paying but I was happy to do so. However, Flamborough was better for me as there were a few Puffins which is what I went for. At Bempton, it was good for Gannets but only one Puffin at that time but also a long way off.

Dave

I went last year after visiting Flamborough. I found many were taking great effort to avoid paying but I was happy to do so. However, Flamborough was better for me as there were a few Puffins which is what I went for. At Bempton, it was good for Gannets but only one Puffin at that time but also a long way off.

Dave
There's no avoiding paying, the footpath across the cliffs at Bempton is a public footpath, so no payment needed. Although if you're using the viewing platforms and the carpark then you really should.

Last edited:
send me a p.m when your going if i'm around we could meet up if you want , just finished packing the car and trailer ready for a early start tomorrow
I will let you know if/when we have a plan.
As always all our plans happen at the last minute :rolleyes:

thanks for the Flamborough tip. Will add it to the list of places to checkout. (y)
Looks like there is a boat trip you can take but most likely will not be doing that.

Boat trips there are always weather dependant and tend to be expensive

Been here since thurs ,only managed a short session at bempton so far ,bitingly cold north eastern winds have made it unpleasant on the cliffs putting it mildly .. . Hoping for better later in week

My whole family has been unwell and I have fallen sick last night :facepalm:

So this trip has been cancelled. But we plan to go in a couple of weeks. Hopefully we'll all be better by then.

Back