Bempton Cliffs

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, after a bit of advice. Been looking into making a trip up to Bempton Cliffs and just wondered if a 70-300 lens would cut it? Don't fancy making the trip if it's not adequate.

Many thanks.

David.

Borderline.
For the gannets it would be ok ..... if you can catch them held in the wind at the cliff edge, or for some of the smaller birds (tree sparrow, finches etc) along the grassy areas or at the feeding station, but tbh the cliffs are so high, trying to shoot anything lower down will probably not get you many good images.

I went about 3 yrs ago & struggled with the 300mm F2.8. The puffins were mainly at sea level, I only saw 1 nesting part way up, but got some half decent shots of razorbills (once cropped in)

If it's a sunny/bright day it's still worth a visit though. Flamborough head area/lighthouses also worth a look.

Personally, I think you'll struggle to get much, but have only been the once. Of course, it does depend on what you expect to get.

Although the Puffins would be an excellent treat, mainly Gannets and the Razors i was after. Maybe give it a miss then. Would a 150-500 be better? This is on a D7000 btw.

Thanks again. :)

I went there two years ago to photograph just the Gannets. Had a 500mm and 300mm lens. Didn't use the 500mm once. It was a windy day and the Gannets were playing in the updraft right at the cliff edge.
Hope that helps
James

Would a 150-500 be better? This is on a D7000 btw.
That's the combination I used recently. There was only one platform that I found gave me some good opportunities, but with other people wanting shots too it became a bit crowded for my liking and that was early on in the day.

I have been to Bempton many times, it's an excellent place. I find that the middle of May to the beginning of June to be perfect, that is before the cliff top vegitation as grown too tall. there are places where the Gannets nest on the grassy bank at the top of the cliff and you are only 20/30 yds away, once the grass as grown these nests cannot be seen. BIF photos of Gannets are wildy available all along the cliff top and from some viewing platforms photos of chicks are also available. i find mornings to be the best as the sun is on the cliff after midday ish. it is in shade, mid week mornings is not as busy as other times of days

How do you fnd with D7000 and Sigma 150-500 combo?
After 5 weeks of having the Sigma, I haven't got used to it really ... tbh, after 2 years with the D7000, I haven't got used to that! :D

Thanks boogie, that's really helpful. Compooter says it's just over two hours away so I guess it may be worth the drive even it's not a success for the Gannets.

I keep toying with the idea of selling the D7000 but I don't think I've really given it chance to shine.

No comment to make regarding the camera, I'm canon and know nothing about nikon at all.
I personally would keep the camera, as i dont think there are many bad cameras out there these days even the very basic entry level cameras are very good and yours from what i know is not a basic entry level camera.......Use it and get used to it, and when you can afford to do it, buy the best lens you can afford to go with it.

It is a good camera David, but even though I dont have big hands, it feels small to me; the only other camera I've used is the D200 which isn't much bigger, but just felt right.

I really like how it feels tbh, alot of people prefer the 300 and although never handling one, I think it would be too big for my liking. Just wondering if the d7100 would be worth the extra cash.

Think I might pick up the 150-500 and see if I like it. Only other thing I use a telephoto for is some portraits and a bit of motorsports but have been prefering the 17-50 f2.8 for that and the 150-500 would be ok for that too if I feel the need.

Ingrid (Gremlin) kindly let me use hers at the BWC meet back in January as I was thinking of getting one. I may well sell the one I bought recently as I simply can't relax with it while strolling around zoos; I'm constantly hearing remarks about the size of it, including it possibly compensating for something else :D

Bempton cliffs is brilliant ! I'll put some pics up when I have time

Back