Ben the water dog

The bottom Right image is the better shot, could do with some space to the right of the subject as its a tight crop and yes if you like it include it in your portfolio

Les ;)

you need to give the subject something to look into , makes for a more natural looking pose

Les ;)

Ok I'll take that on board, it was hard to get his attention, as he is an active dog.

What's the objective and aim of the portfolio? That will really determine if it's portfolio quality or not.

It's for university, I wanted to include a variety of photos to show skill. I'm drawing dogs in art so I thought it would be right to include the dogs in my portfolio

Last edited:
It's for university, I wanted to include a variety of photos to show skill. I'm drawing dogs in art so I thought it would be right to include the dogs in my portfolio

You are on the right track- by getting down to the Dogs level, the BG's are a little distracting in the first two images, thus drawing the attention away from the dog

Les ;)

If it's for *applying* to university then you might find it's falling a little short, depending on the course you're applying to. When I applied myself the standards were extremely high amongst those who got in and showed an awful lot of creativity rather than just raw photographic technicalities.

Thanks for your opinions, ok so more creativity, ok I'll try to do better the next time:)

Les, the reason why I used the flowers in the background is because a photographer at my friends wedding used it in a portrait photograph, so I thought I would try it out, but I see now it hasn't worked. Thanks :)

Thanks for your opinions, ok so more creativity, ok I'll try to do better the next time:)

Les, the reason why I used the flowers in the background is because a photographer at my friends wedding used it in a portrait photograph, so I thought I would try it out, but I see now it hasn't worked. Thanks :)

Just use a larger aperture and any BG will suit as the BG being softer than the subject will focus (no pun intended) the viewer onto the main subject

Les ;)

like this for example - I shot using a very wide aperture = softer BG - simples.....

Get a Head
by lesmoxonphotography, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Back