Benbo Trekker Mk3.. which ball head to buy..?

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
No
I have just received an unexpected gift of a Benbo Trekker Mk3 tripod from my wife (my reward for giving up smoking 12 weeks or so ago). I have a couple of old tripods, more or less not fit for purpose any longer, so this Benbo is timely. However, try as I may, I can't decide on a suitable ball head for it. I have a spare Smallrig ball head, but I'm looking for alternative suggestions, makes / models etc. The only caveat is that it has to be Arca Swiss compatible.

What say you guys? Which would you choose?

Last edited:
What is your budget and use cases? How heavy or light is your setup?

Budget..? Hmmm.. at the moment not more than £70.00 - I have 'house stuff' to sort out and that's going to cost..!! As to my setup.. well I alternate between an ageing Nikon d5000 and a, slightly, more recent d7000. But.. (there's always a 'but'..) I was also wondering if I might be able to put it to use with my Bronica ETRSi and the generic 75mm lens. It probably weighs around the same as the d7000.

What were you going to suggest?

I was going to suggest something more than you budget :D
But in your budget sirui K-series ballheads (k20, k30, k40) are really good. I used to own K40x and it was really solid.

Last edited:
For the same price you could get about 140 B&H!

Seriously well done mate.

I gave up 10 years ago and only vape now.

Can't bloody kick that though

I'm 12 days without a fag Tom :giggle: and bought the Trekker 3 kit last week, and also have a D7000 attached....

One thing I wouldn't be without for my Benbo is the additional centre column bracket. I find it makes the handling easy.

I used to have two heads but I sold my Manfrotto 410 junior geared head and now just have a Giottos MH 1301 ball head. I think that's an older one you can't get now.

One thing I wouldn't be without for my Benbo is the additional centre column bracket. I find it makes the handling easy.

I used to have two heads but I sold my Manfrotto 410 junior geared head and now just have a Giottos MH 1301 ball head. I think that's an older one you can't get now.

Curious regarding the "additional centre column bracket".. tell me more please.

It's an extra bracket that allows the column to be moved and locked independently of the legs and avoids much of the drunken bagpipes effect that some complain about.

Here it is.

IMG_8139-01.jpg

I don't know if it's listed in the list of spare parts or accessories or what... I used to receive a Speedgraphic catalog through the post and I think they were in that but of course that hasn't come for years. If interested maybe just ring your supper or Speedgraphic and describe what you want.

Last edited:
It's an extra bracket that allows the column to be moved and locked independently of the legs and avoids much of the drunken bagpipes effect that some complain about.

Here it is.

View attachment 281527

I don't know if it's listed in the list of spare parts or accessories or what... I used to receive a Speedgraphic catalog through the post and I think they were in that but of course that hasn't come for years. If interested maybe just ring your supper or Speedgraphic and describe what you want.

Checked out the Speedgraphic website, they certainly still in business, but I can't see any add-on's or accessories for Benbo apart from two models of tripod bag. Maybe it's me, maybe it's an age thing, but I can't see the difference between your photo and this... (except that it's shown in a vertical axis..

benbo1.jpg

The basic tripod has one knob to tighten or release the column and a handle to release and tighten the legs.

Mine has an extra bit.

Mine has something extra and a third knob just above the words Benbo and Trekker in the picture I posted.

I'll try and explain, please stay with me as it may be difficult to describe :D

Mine has an additional bracket which attaches in the same way as the legs to the bent bolt and is tightened and slackened along with them via the handle but the column is fixed to this bracket and is tightened and released with an additional knob. It's really just a flat piece of metal which is vaguely figure of 8 shaped with a couple of holes in it, one to connect on to the bent bolt together with the legs and the second to take the knob securing the column assembly.

With this extra bit fitted you can position the tripod legs and tighten the bolt and then slacken the extra knob and move the column and it's mount independently without the legs going all floppy again.

I expect a lot of people just use the tripod and never complain or worry but I have also read people complaining the tripods are too much like a drunken set of bag pipes and for those who feel like that this extra bit may help. I find it helps as when setting up I don't need to worry where the column is, I just set the legs and then position the column, separately, rather than the legs and the column needing to be positioned as a part of the same process.

If you're interested maybe Paterson Photographic can help as I think they own Benbo or are at least dealers. Here's their number 0121 520 4830 or alternatively you may be able to rustle up an email and email them.

Here's the internet link...

https://www.patersonphotographic.com/

Of course it may be that you'll be happy with your tripod just as it is :D

PS.
I've had mine for many years and although I don't use it much I would hate to go back to a conventional centre column through the middle of the legs design as the benbo is IMO much more flexible. Plus mine has been pretty much indestructible and does actually seem more stable than the Manfrotto it replaced.

I hope you get many happy years of use out of yours :D

Last edited:
I see what you so eloquently described. Thank you for that. When the time comes, not for a good while I'm hoping, I expect to find cut into my gravestone the words "Here lies a clumsy oaf". I have lost count of the number of times I have tripped over extended tripod legs..!! Those being the traditional models of course. However I suspect, because of the nature of setting up a Benro, it won't provide the same 'trip hazard' as I am more likely to be aware of how I have positioned the legs - because they are 'independent' they wont always proscribe a triangular base.

Being a decidedly old fart I was pleasantly surprised to find virtually no gizmos or gadgets as accessories to the Benbo. A breath of fresh air in my book. I don't sign up for the "all the gear, no idea" club. I don't have one single bit of photographic kit that doesn't get used regularly. Even my 30+ year old Slik 88 tripod gets a work out once a week. Trouble is with the 'lockdown' continuing I need to maximise my spends on photo stuff as once it's over I'll get back to my real passion, shooting. And that does cost serious money..!!

I will email Paterson and see what they say / suggest. It would be stupid of me not to enquire. Thanks for the head-up.

You're more than welcome. And thanks for the eloquent comment, I thought I was making a mess of describing it :D

Here it is.

View attachment 281527

Spoils all the fun of wrestling a mating octopus. :D

I think the possible handling issues are probably most relevant if the camera is mounted on the tripod whilst you're adjusting the legs and / or column and setting up. With the bracket I don't have a problem and whilst some may not have a problem with tripods without the bracket for the cost (not much) I think it's at least worth a look at and thinking about just to give that extra comfort factor of knowing that you can move the column independently of the legs.

Back