Benbo Trekker or Gitzo 2227 tripods

Canon Bob

Loves the Enemy
Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Does anyone out there use either of these tripods and would care to offer an opinion on stability when the arm is offset.
The Benbo comes in various Mk's and includes a lightweight "Trekker" range.

Bob

Hi Bob me again I have the Benbo Trekker mk2 I have used the tripod with a 10D and grip loaded with a Tokina 12-24 no mean weight when you have the arm offset mine was fine however the Benbo std head is not strong enough (my opnion) to hold that kind of weight I upgraded my ball and socket head from warehouse express.

I have found I use the trekker more than my frotto just because of its unique reach

Cheers Terry.....I'm looking for something to use with a 30D, focus rail and anything from an MP-E up to a 180L. I need something that avoids me sticking the legs into the bushes and frightening off the creepies.
I guess it's about 2kg max in the worst case.

Bob

I use a battered old Benbo 2 - the largest one they make. It's a real monster in every way both weight and bulk wise, but I really love it. Benbos can take a bit of getting used to but they're superbly adaptable and very stable. Because of the unique sealed leg design, they can be stood in water and it's very easy to adjust the height up or down, even with heavy gear mounted on top. I can't comment on the Trekker as I've never used one, but I'm sure it's similar to it's bigger brothers in all respects.

I also have a CF Gitzo 2228, which is the four leg section version of the 2227, it just folds up a little shorter. I rate it the best tripod I've ever owned in terms of adaptability and portability and I often use it with the 500mm f4L and 1DMK2n which is still within it's load limit.

The offset centre column is fairly short, so limits any vibration when used offset, although there's obviously a limit to how much weight I'd mount on it in that configuration.

CLICKY

The std head according to Pattersons is 8kg max link below, the MK1/2 are heavier but more rugged in build I broke my trekker on the joint between the ball head. Pattersons fixed it for a £10 inc post considering I fell 20 feet I consider £10 well spent (well £20 if you include all the plasters and aspirins!)

http://www.patersonphotographic.com/benbo-tripods.htm

Got mine off Flea bay at a steal

I've had a Trekker II for about 18 months and love it the only thing I'd say is it takes a bit of getting used to when setting it up, when I first got mine it was like wrestling an octopus. Once you get it down though it's very quick to set up and very stable.

Thanks guys....I also read that DougDarter used a 2228.

CT...do you think that it would support a 30D and MP-E or 180L just on the limit of the spread of the legs?
Secondly....any obvious reason that I couldn't use my Manfrotto or Bogen heads with it?

Steep...I have a mental picture of the wrestling...thanks

Bob

CT...do you think that it would support a 30D and MP-E or 180L just on the limit of the spread of the legs?
Easily!
Secondly....any obvious reason that I couldn't use my Manfrotto or Bogen heads with it
Nope - none at all. The only heads I use on mine are the two gimbals. I sold the Gitzo QR ball head as the obvious ball head for me now is an Arca type, as most of my lenses have Swiss plates permanently attached, and it would save me a lot of plate swapping. I really fancy a RRS ball head.

Thanks again Cedric....just PM me your address and let me know when you'll be out :LOL:

Looks like a 2228 it's going to be.

Bob

Thanks again Cedric....just PM me your address and let me know when you'll be out :LOL:

Looks like a 2228 it's going to be.

Bob

Take anything - take the wife - just leave me gear!! :D

Bob, I may be wrong, but I've a feeling the 2228 is discontinued? The differences from the 2227 are negligible though - just slighter longer closed length.

Take anything - take the wife - just leave me gear!! :D

Bob, I may be wrong, but I've a feeling the 2228 is discontinued? The differences from the 2227 are negligible though - just slighter longer closed length.

It is discontinued....hence the need for your address. Please leave the tripod and wife in the hall both suitably packed for transportation.

Bob

The wife will be just inside the door - suitably sedated. The gear will be in storage. :razz:

A lot of places are advertising the 2228 but it seems in most cases it's actually the 2227. However, this one is being described as a four section model - so it might be worth ringing them to be sure?

CLICKY

Back