Benbo Trekker replacement

Name
Jeremy Moore
Edit My Images
No
For years I've been using a Benbo Trekker; it's incredibly flexible and great for using outdoors on uneven ground etc

I've just about made the decision to replace it as I seem to swear at it every time I open it up. You probably don't want to know the details.

I've come to the conclusion that the only other tripod with such flexibility is the Gitzo Explorer 2530, at about £400.

Are there any other alternatives that I may not have thought about?

Hi Jerry, I have used the Trekker and like you swear at it every time I use it, but £400 is a lot of money to spend to replace it, don't get me wrong I'm with you but £400.

I'd have to go on an anger management course at Benbo before I'd think about spending that much:LOL: my problem with the Benbo is it does absolutely everything I could ask or need from a tripod.

Best of luck with your quest, and get booked on that AM course(y)

The Gitzo Explorer G2220 seems to have the same features for about half the price (£194 from fotosense)

I've looked at the G2220, but I think its aluminium (as opposed to Carbon Fibre) and isn't as tall. You'd have to extend the centre column to get it to eye level (like the Trekker).

Me and my Trekker go back a long way. I even had all three legs replaced because the paint had blistered on the original ones and it was difficult to close/extend them.

Trouble is with the new legs (not so new now) the open/close knob is very poor. You think it's tight and then find that its not, and you think its open and the legs are still stiff. "%$*&£!!"

I've found, via Google, the GT2530EX at Tin Cheung Camera Co in Hong Kong for £287 including FedEx. I guess I'd get stung for Import Duty and VAT but I'm VAT registered so its very tempting.

Anyone heard of / used Tin Cheung Camera Co? Their website looks OK.

As long as it's not Tin legs you'll be fine :coat: I have a trekker myself, reviewed it here a couple of years? back. I remember saying then it was like fighting a live octopus until you got used to it. :)

Hi Steep,

Just found your reply...

The Trekker has been great, but its just not up to the job any more. The GT2530EX is cheaper in HK, the price I've seen today is even cheaper from the same supplier - £282 +tax/duty.

Its getting even more difficult to resist. My credit card is straining at its leash ..

Back