1. HoppyUK

HoppyUK

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Then that must include the blue camera mounting plate and fitting screw supplied which, given that a lot of heads don't come with one, is again overstating the weight of the head itself. Double-checking my copy carefully on calibrated scales, it weighs exactly 693g, plate/screw 47g.

2. cuillinade

cuillinade

Name:
    Adrian
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks for the confirmed weight on your calibrated scales, Richard. Perhaps Benro should now be quoting the weight without the plate to make comparison with competitors easier.

3. Willid1

Willid1

Name:
    David Williams
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi

I've just been to look at one of these (very helpful member of staff at Park Cameras broke the seal on a unopened box for me to have a look) and almost fell in love with it but there was one thing I didn't like the look of.

There was a 2 to 3 mm gap behind the big star shaped unlocking control on all 3 movement axies. I could see the spring that controls the unlocking movement - looks very vulnerable to ingress of dust/dirt??

Are they all like this??

Additionally some of the lubricant had leaked out of the controls (had been in a hot stock room) and I saw comments on here about the controls being a bit sticky and benefitting from some thinner lubricant. If this is a result of the head being at 30 centigrade I suppose that's ok if it works properly on a cold winters day.

Any comments on the gap behind the star shaped control please as I have £200 burning a hole in my pocket

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  4. cuillinade

cuillinade

Name:
    Adrian
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi David,

grease seepage seems to have been a minor issue. With the really hot weather I had a little seep out but once wiped off no more has appeared. According to Benro Brand Manager, Mark Hoskins, with whom I've been in touch "the grease seepage. Benro have confirmed that this is due to slightly enthusiastic members of staff applying a little to much grease in the production process and they say that should any grease become visible then just wipe it away and all should be good. If the problem persists then please contact us info@macgroupeu.com with details and our Customer Service team will advise about courses of action.

No problems at all at more usual UK temperatures and all performed faultlessly in the tail end of winter with still some snow and very low temps due to wind chill high in the Cuillin hills.

Has been very dry and dusty and no problems with ingress of dirt/dust. Also been used recently in heavy rain and no problems. I always take care to dry things on return and wipe obvious mud/dust off but I'm not one to mollycoddle gear and it gets given a lot of stick in the hills.

HoppyUK likes this.
  5. Willid1

Willid1

Name:
    David Williams
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks for the reply - after a bit of research and convincing myself they were all like that I now have one atop my tripod - going to Devon on holiday soon so it will get a good test

6. Canon brook

Canon brook

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Excuse my ignorance but what is the blue collar branded Benro in the pictures that sits between the head and the tripod....some sort of clamp? Assume it doesn’t come with the head....?

7. ecoleman

ecoleman

Name:
    Elliott
    Edit My Images:
    No
    It's part of the tripod. It releases and tightens the centre column

8. Canon brook

Canon brook

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Ahh! Thought it might be part of the head....just ordering one.....makes sense now Benro tripod....thanks for clarifying....

9. ecoleman

ecoleman

Name:
    Elliott
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Have you ordered yet. I have a brand new one still in its box.
    I ended up with two but only use one. I’ve been meaning to get rid of it for a while but haven’t had the time.

If you’re interested I’ll setup a classifieds thread.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  10. Canon brook

Canon brook

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Oh no....it’s a birthday pressie off the Mrs and she’s got it in hand ( which means it’s already ordered or hidden away somewhere) .....good price that .....I would put it in the classifieds....bargain for somebody...

11. ecoleman

ecoleman

Name:
    Elliott
    Edit My Images:
    No
    No worries. I will do, I just keep forgetting

12. Unlocker

Unlocker

Name:
    Danny
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Just got one of these yesterday as it seems like the ideal solution to a 405 owner who wants less weight and Arca Swiss compatibility, the downside is that it won’t fit on my Gitzo tripod!

The 405 head has a large silver base that makes it a bit taller so that the handles don’t hit the large base of the Gitzo, so i’m guessing that some kind of spacer would solve the issue, has anyone found a good solution to this?

13. simonbarker

simonbarker

Edit My Images:
    No
    Leveling base? Markins / Manfrotto 120 or whichever thread adapter suits?

14. ecoleman

ecoleman

Name:
    Elliott
    Edit My Images:
    No
    https://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/tripod_accessories/eckla_tripod_spacer_50_x_30mm/26996_p.html

or

https://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/tripod_accessories/eckla_tripod_spacer_80_x_30mm/26997_p.html

Here you go. I have the same problem when I use the head with my levelling base. This solved the problem.
    Luckily I don't have an issue when it's attached directly to my Benro tripod so only need this spacer if using the levelling base.

15. Unlocker

Unlocker

Name:
    Danny
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks for the help, know what I’m looking for now!

16. HoppyUK

HoppyUK

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    No
    GH-Pro is a really nice head. It tilts forward/down 90 degrees, and around 40 degrees back. If you want 90 degrees back, just turn the whole head around. You're right about the wobby Manfrotto XPro, but if you're interested in the Benro GD3WH, I've just put mine up for sale in the classfied section, having decided to keep the GH-Pro instead :)

Peter123 likes this.
  17. ChrisN

ChrisN

Name:
    Christopher
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I was astonished to read that your Sunwayfoto GH-Pro can tilt 90°. Last autumn I made a detailed internet search for an affordable lightweight geared head. A review of the GH-Pro Mk1 referred to its limited range of movement. I couldn’t find data on the range of the 2017, Mk2 version, so last November I contacted Sunwayfoto, stressing that I was seeking 90° tilt. In response they sent me a series of pictures. One headed ‘Adjustment range’ stated “Left and right direction can be rotated 60 degrees” and “Front and rear direction can be rotated 90 degrees”. Another headed ‘Parameter’ had a table that included “About Activity: ±30°” and “Before and after: ±45°”. 30+30 = 60, and 45+45 = 90, so this seemed to show that the GH-Pro couldn’t tilt 90°!

Since reading your response, I’ve found a video (June 2018) that shows the head tilting about 90°. If Sunwayfoto had given me correct information, I would have ordered their head last winter. Instead, I settled for the non-Arca-Swiss XPRO, and then misled readers of this thread! So I've deleted the response of mine that you responded to. The Sunwayfoto looks to be a great product, but I’ll probably replace my XPRO with the less expensive Benro.

Thanks for letting me know you’re offering a 2nd hand Benro. I only found this forum when searching for reviews of the Benro head, and joined because I thought I should warn readers of the limitations of the Sunwayfoto head that Sunwayfoto had wrongly informed me of. I wasn’t aware of the classified section. But I still want to handle the Benro head before I commit to buying one. (Sadly, it doesn’t seem feasible to try the Sunwayfoto head without placing an order.)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  18. HoppyUK

HoppyUK

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Glad we've cleared that up (y) The Benro is the obvious choice for most people wanting a geared head, with its strong combination of good performance, competitive price and low weight. I prefer the Sunwayfoto GH-Pro, but it's around twice the price.

Unfortunately you won't have access to the classified sections yet - not until you've been a member for 30 days and made at least 25 posts.

Welcome to TP :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018