Benro travel angel, or Mefoto roadtrip?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I think that you have to weigh up weight v size when folded. There are many light tripods out there, but quite a lot of these are still over 400mm when folded. If that's not a problem then fine, but for me it was a consideration.

Small when folded is good, but a few cms doesn`t bother me too much. It`s more the stability compromise that`s more important for me. D750 with 24-120 is my heaviest combo (other than macro which I would use main tripod lump)

I have a Befree and took its been to Rome, Venice, Munich and Prague - it folds down small and was very easy to carry but I find it quite short and stability is "ok" v my full on Manfrotto Carbon Fibre beast!
I'm off on holiday next week and I've been looking at other travel pods but I think the Befree will be coming again!

I have a Befree and took its been to Rome, Venice, Munich and Prague - it folds down small and was very easy to carry but I find it quite short and stability is "ok" v my full on Manfrotto Carbon Fibre beast!
I'm off on holiday next week and I've been looking at other travel pods but I think the Befree will be coming again!

Thanks Chris. Fortunately the 750 has the tilt screen, so height isn`t really that much of an issue.

Sirui ET-1004 is well worth a look. I bought the ET-1204 as I wanted CF but the ally version is much better value. I like the Sirui as I prefer lever locks to twist locks on the legs.

Manfrotto befree?
I did look at that, but it has mixed stability reviews. It`s still in the frame though.

I bought one for my travels this year, couldn't justify the carbon so bought the normal one. It's very good, goes full height for me, didnt find stability an issue with my 5D mk3 and 70-200 f2.8 is on it, although I haven't used it in a gale.
It's a lightweight travel tripod so is never going to be as rock solid as my 055, but it's small, light, packs in a suitcase easily, which means I'll have it with me rather than having nothing at all. I was pleasantly surprised by the build quality and versatility.
The good news with this is it's likely to be in your local camera shop so you could see it for yourself, perhaps evenbuy and support your local shop.

I bought one for my travels this year, couldn't justify the carbon so bought the normal one. It's very good, goes full height for me, didnt find stability an issue with my 5D mk3 and 70-200 f2.8 is on it, although I haven't used it in a gale.
It's a lightweight travel tripod so is never going to be as rock solid as my 055, but it's small, light, packs in a suitcase easily, which means I'll have it with me rather than having nothing at all. I was pleasantly surprised by the build quality and versatility.
The good news with this is it's likely to be in your local camera shop so you could see it for yourself, perhaps evenbuy and support your local shop.

Thanks mate. If it can take a 5D3 and 70-200 without a problem, I shouldn`t have any worries. I think I`ll pop into town and have a look in my local Jessops.

Support the combo on the lens collar and it's fine. I have a 055 tripod and a redsnapper carbon as well.
The 055 is big, heavy, rock solid stable but too heavy to carry about for distances. Great for video work. The redsnapper is great for carrying around, nice, light, coupled with a manfrotto pistol grip head but is too much of a pain to take on a plane,
The befree has a fixed head but takes the same tripod plate, goes nicely in a small suitcase, has a carry bag so easy to carry about if your backpark hasn't tripod carrying capability. I bought it this year for my travels this year and so far have taken it to Venice which worked really well for me.

It goes really low, obviously gets more stable as you shorten it, so in some conditions I could see me using it sitting down perhaps, but generally I've been using it with my 5Dmk3, 24-105 or 14mm samyung lens. It's supposed to be able to take 5kg (from memory), i've just tried it with 100-400 and 2x TC using the lens collar and it's held that without moving ok as well, with the lens zoomed out to 400. Not sure how it would be with the wind catching the lens, might have to drop the legs a section if at the beach etc.

Cheers mate, I appreciate you taking the time.

I have the carbon travel angel, it's super but I just haven't used it. Took it with me last couple of holidays and just didn't get any use out of it.

Could do you a deal on it if you're interested, it's like new.

I have the carbon travel angel, it's super but I just haven't used it. Took it with me last couple of holidays and just didn't get any use out of it.

Could do you a deal on it if you're interested, it's like new.

What model is it Kris, do you have a link (and price)?

Will have to check it out late tomorrow for you, currently away until then. Pretty sure it has the B1 head. Think I paid over £250 just before they started to have UK Distributors. Can't see where you're based but I travel allot so might be able to show it you?

Will have to check it out late tomorrow for you, currently away until then. Pretty sure it has the B1 head. Think I paid over £250 just before they started to have UK Distributors. Can't see where you're based but I travel allot so might be able to show it you?

That's cool, thanks. I`m in Hayes (Kent)
Around £150 is my top limit, as I will need beer money for holiday :)

Let me check out how current the model is as genuinely not up to date with them but i hadn't any more than that in mind. Will check it out when I get back tomorrow.

Let me check out how current the model is as genuinely not up to date with them but i hadn't any more than that in mind. Will check it out when I get back tomorrow.

Thanks Kris

I have 2 mefoto tripods - quality is excellent - can highly recommend them.

I think benro and mefoto are manufactured by the same company.

Absolutely spot on, that's just what I've found, the weight of the set up is not an issue for me anymore due to having an XT1 nowadays. I've just come back from a trip to Scotland and I can say there was only once when I could have done with my 055. I can see me selling the beast now as I really can't be doing with the weight anymore.

I have 2 mefoto tripods - quality is excellent - can highly recommend them.

I think benro and mefoto are manufactured by the same company.

I actually like the custom roadtrips that they`re doing, sadly only in the states though. There`s a cool Iron Man one :)

Thanks all, who posted here. But I have found a globetrotter in my price range :)

I'm in the same boat - looking for a travel tripod. I'd certainly be tempted in yours! :D

Hi Omar. No problem. It's one of those items where I think, it's always handy to have, then on the other hand I don't use it and haven't done so. Can get some pics to you later if you like? Maybe you're more local to have a look at it?

EDIT: Then I notice you're quite north of the border, ha.

Last edited:
Hi Omar. No problem. It's one of those items where I think, it's always handy to have, then on the other hand I don't use it and haven't done so. Can get some pics to you later if you like? Maybe you're more local to have a look at it?

EDIT: Then I notice you're quite north of the border, ha.

lol, indeed! Yeah some pics would be good! :)

Back