Best 128gb ssd for Alubody Macbook (not pro)

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
I have an old alubody macbook (not pro) and want to speed it up a bit as i can't afford a new one.

I am looking at upping the RAM to 8GB and want to install a 128GBSSD

Which is the best ssd for the money for this mac. I am toying between a Crucial M4, Samsung 830 series but wondered if my mac would be able to use the 6GB/s speed or if due to the age my macbook would only cope with 3GB/s in drives such as the V4 (cheaper)?

So what's the best out there in terms of speed for it? Am happy to pay a bit for for speed but don't want to spend unnecessarily.

The easiest means of verifying what speed SATA your model has is to check over on EveryMac - pick your model, and go down to the table entry starting with "Standard Hard Drive". Next to that, you'll find "Int. HD interface".

It looks like the Al models of MacBook indeed support SATA II, ie 3Gbps.

Last edited:
I put an Intel 520 in my Mac Pro, did loads of research and seem to remember went with that brand due to Sandforce/trim compatibility with OSX.
It was last year so can't exactly remember, I'm sure the Mac forums will come up with the answer.

Upgrading to SSD is the most day-day noticeable speed increase you can buy.

The easiest means of verifying what speed SATA your model has is to check over on EveryMac - pick your model, and go down to the table entry starting with "Standard Hard Drive". Next to that, you'll find "Int. HD interface".

It looks like the Al models of MacBook indeed support SATA II, ie 3Gbps.

mine is this model

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-2.0-aluminum-13-late-2008-unibody-specs.html

It is 3GB/s according to that so does that mean this would be a better buy than the Samsung 830 as it wont go faster?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-128...1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1352560454&sr=1-2

I wouldn't just think of the machine its going in think of the future one day you might want to put the drive in something else I would go sata3 6GBs but if you never intend to take it out then sata2 is fine.

I wouldn't just think of the machine its going in think of the future one day you might want to put the drive in something else I would go sata3 6GBs but if you never intend to take it out then sata2 is fine.

That's a good point! If I ever get funds to get a new macbook I can slide it across to my iMac as a boot drive.

Have looked around and the Samsung 830 gets rave reviews so am going to give it a shot.

I installed a 128GB Samsung 830 SSD in my sister's Aluminium MacBook (2.0GHz) and it works great, a nice boost in speed/snappiness. I have the 256GB version in my mid 2010 15" Pro which has never given me any problems, so highly recommended.

I have also removed the SuperDrive and installed an Optibay with the old mechanical hard drive in for extra storage. It was around £10 (eBay from HK) and could be an option if you never use your optical drive (I can count on one hand the number of times I've used a CD or DVD in the past couple of years!)

Back