Best background material (not paper)

Edit My Images
No
Looking for a recommendation for a backdrop material that is more resistant to creases than others, if such a thing exists!

Someone’s recommmeded this Westcott one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Westcott-139-9x20-Feet-High-Key-Background/dp/B004TS0FMW

I can’t use a paper roll as the studio space I have available has some tight corridor corners and wouldn’t get a roll around them! So hence looking at material choices. Need a white b/g and as wide as poss btw.

Thanks

The one in your link, described as "
Westcott 139 9x20-Feet High-Key White Background for Power Cord" (weird description) contains absolutely no useful info and doesn't even say what it's made of. My guess is that it's non-woven material, and if so then it will drop to bits very quickly.

Your best solution, if you're going for a fabric background, is to get one made from pure cotton (Muslin). Yes, it will crease badly, but
1. Fix it to your background support (or whatever) tightly, spray it with water from a plant sprayer and allow it to dry naturally, this will minimise creases
2. Over-light it a bit (necessary in any event to get the pure white look that the seller calls high key:) ) and this will make the creases invisible, or nearly so.

Of course, this isn't ideal, the best solution would be either paper or vinyl but, as you say, you haven't got room for that. Another option would be the sprung-frame backgrounds, similar to 5 in 1 reflectors, but as far as I know they aren't available in large sizes.
Another option would be to get 2 x smaller cotton ones and sew them together

I once hauled a colorama roll on a rope up through the window in a studio that the tight corridor corners meant it wouldn't work?

or get a half width paper roll? and for width, hang it at 90 degrees to how you normally would?

or build a cove....

Thanks guys. Yeah a roll is a def no go, but been watching Zack Arias video about the above stretchy material here http://dedpxl.com/the-many-uses-of-white-seamless-pt-2/ and may well give that a try.

My only question is, as this stuff is only 9ft / 3m wide and if I'm doing group shots of kids say 5 in a row I think I'll be running out of space? If I bought 2 rolls (and yes would mean having to buy another set of backdrop supports so not ideal) and butted them up to each other, would the join show in images or would it be invisible once lit etc?

I have quite a wide area to shoot in which helps...

Thanks for all the help!

In this sort of situation a cove would certainly be a good solution, maintain with a good quality paint (odourless)...

In this sort of situation a cove would certainly be a good solution, maintain with a good quality paint (odourless)...
yeah sadly can't paint walls as its not my studio, so material options only....

yeah sadly can't paint walls as its not my studio, so material options only....
Thats a shame.... Not a cheap option and one that I have never tried... how about a lastolite Hilite with a train? Or the train on its own and stretched across your existing supports?

Thats a shame.... Not a cheap option and one that I have never tried... how about a lastolite Hilite with a train? Or the train on its own and stretched across your existing supports?
I've seen that Wex do a 6m wide b/g support https://www.wexphotovideo.com/wexpro-6m-wide-background-support-stand-1529672/

If I threaded on 2 x 9ft backgrounds, and taped the join with white gaffer maybe (and bear with me as i'm a newbie to all this!) would the join show once lit?

I've seen that Wex do a 6m wide b/g support https://www.wexphotovideo.com/wexpro-6m-wide-background-support-stand-1529672/

If I threaded on 2 x 9ft backgrounds, and taped the join with white gaffer maybe (and bear with me as i'm a newbie to all this!) would the join show once lit?
Not tried it so I don't actually know, but it may work..

Not a cheap option, but it looks a viable option as long as you are careful about the join to the floor...

That looks like the best option... haven't used one myself.
BTW, if you can back off and use a longer FL it will make you BG larger.

Yeah it does look good, just wondering if I had to do full length shots how that would look if I had white material on the floor and whether the join would show?

Back