Best bang for buck tripod for travelling

Edit My Images
No
Hi all!

I am looking for a tripod for a trip away.

I've read alot about different tripods here etc but wondered if there was one that is considered good bang for buck unanimously??

I don't want a 'budget tripod' but at the same time don't want to spend £100s more for one that is 5g lighter than the one below it if that makes sense?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll look it up! What led you to buy that one?

Edit: Deleted - just remembered its against the rules to offer to sell outwith the classifieds. I think..

Last edited:
Gitzo 1 series such as the 1542T or something similar such as the older 1541 Mountaineer
Fold up small, very light and sturdy too, excellent build quality and only drawback is the price

I have an older G1158, same sort of thing and has the ALR so that the all the leg locks can be undone with half a twist then tightened up similarly (older versions were a bit more fiddly)

Can't fault mine and despite owning other makes wouldn't hesitate to buy the same brand again

Cheers
Rich

Another vote for the Giottos Vitruvian, specifically the CF version. Why? Weight and compactness - easily fits into the suitcase and doesn't eat too far into the baggage weight restriction. Reasonably quick to set up and on mine, the supplied ball head doesn't creep with a D700 and Sigma 24-70 or Nikkor 70-300 VR fitted.

Can alternative and lighter still - Velbon Luxi F (now named Luxi L. Ok not as solid as others mentioned but total weight with its head is about 1-1.2kg (IIRC), is quite compact, and is my choice of tripod for holidays.

Last edited:
I bought one but sent it back! Great lightweight tripod but vibrations took an age to die off & it is affected by wind. I wanted to use it with a spotting scope for archery & with my 7D but the weight on top just seemed to make it "twang" & made vibrations worse.

I bought one but sent it back! Great lightweight tripod but vibrations took an age to die off & it is affected by wind. I wanted to use it with a spotting scope for archery & with my 7D but the weight on top just seemed to make it "twang" & made vibrations worse.

I'm surprised :(

Benro travel angel rock solid carbon, light and folds double to reduce size when transporting, I found the ball head fine but too fidly sso swapped it for an ?Acratech

Back