Best "Big Sensor" Compact

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for a compact to chuck in my bag for my holiday alongside my D750 so I don't need to take it with me all the time (there will be dedicated togging time built into my trip!)
But I also want to know that the IQ out of the thing is going to be good! I was thinking that the X100S/T would probably be the best best as I do love a 35mm and its obviously basically a XT1/XE2 without the ability to change lenses..... but wondered if I was missing anything?

I just bought the T and took it on holiday to Spain for 10 days , I was a bit worried I would want to change lenses etc but not once did this happen , 35mm Is just perfect for pretty much everything , fantastic wee camera and can't recommend it highly enough

Ricoh GR if you're happy with fixed lens, RX100 if you want zoom and totally pocketable, Panny LX100 if you want zoom and happy for it to only fit in big pockets.

X100t. Don't forget about the conversion lenses so it's not strictly just 35mm. Way I'd go.

I just bought the T and took it on holiday to Spain for 10 days , I was a bit worried I would want to change lenses etc but not once did this happen , 35mm Is just perfect for pretty much everything , fantastic wee camera and can't recommend it highly enough

Cheers! As its going to accompany my D750 the fixed lens doesn't worry me too much!

I've heard of these but never really looked at them, will do!

+1

Despite having just been 'refreshed', the original GR is probably just as good. And right now, you can get one for a bargain price. I love mine. It's small, fast and the IQ is excellent. I took this snap last year. I think it shows what the GR is capable of with regards IQ.

Need to have a look at the GR!

Sony RX100?

Cheers! Will take a look at that one too!
Canon G1X mk2

Ricoh GR if you're happy with fixed lens, RX100 if you want zoom and totally pocketable, Panny LX100 if you want zoom and happy for it to only fit in big pockets.

Cheers Snerkler, will look at those!

X100t. Don't forget about the conversion lenses so it's not strictly just 35mm. Way I'd go.

Yeah I did think about that but if I'm going to add the bulk of the conversion lenses wouldn't I be as well with an XE2 and a couple of primes???

If you're made of money then the Sony RX1/RX1R could be an option? FF version of the X100 essentially :)

Leica X1, X2, X-vario ??? APS C sensor with a superb lens in a German-made metal body.

Canon G1X is worth a look if you're after quality and not to interested in speed. You will need big pockets or as in my case a backpack.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the Canon G7X yet. Truly pocketable, 1" sensor and 24-100 equivalent zoom, f1.8-2.8.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the Canon G7X yet. Truly pocketable, 1" sensor and 24-100 equivalent zoom, f1.8-2.8.

How does it compare to the RX100 M3? The G7X has been on my radar for a while to replace the Fuji XF1 as a pocketable family snap camera. How is the video mode? I'd like to take short videos of my toddler growing up and the Fuji was very bad for video but decent enough for photos.

How does it compare to the RX100 M3? The G7X has been on my radar for a while to replace the Fuji XF1 as a pocketable family snap camera. How is the video mode? I'd like to take short videos of my toddler growing up and the Fuji was very bad for video but decent enough for photos.
Apparently AF is poor compared with the Sony

I looked at both in John Lewis. I tried focusing on a darkish area and there wasn't much in it. I thought the Canon was slightly faster. I have just come back from Butlins where my DSLR spent most of the time in the room and the G7X went out with me all the time. I took loads of decent shots and I find the manual setting with auto ISO very useful for indoor tot situations!

I even took some acceptable Typhoon shots on Saturday with the G7X.

Video is fine too for brief videos of my little girl. Sounds like you want something small for the same reasons I did.

Last edited:
...and the original Sony RX100 (which IMO has very similar IQ to the current mk3, and TBH blew me away for a compact, or any non DSLR) can be had new for £270, plus another £30 cash back from Sony on registration. Bargain of the century IMO!

Back