Best camera for an amateur

Name
Desmond
Edit My Images
No
Ok. To start with. I am not a professional photographer like you guys. I have had for a very long time a Sony Alpa 200.Sony discontinued this line for a new one. My problem has been that all my extra lenses and my remote flashes where not compatible. It is with reason I decided to look at canon cameras. Having contacted Canon I here that they operate the same way.

I have two cameras in mind. R100 and 2000D. The R100 is more expensive. As an amateur, I wanted to get extra lenses and remote flashes. I have been told today that all the lenses and remote flashes for the 200D would not be compatible with the R100. I do not know how you guys cope. If as professionals you want to buy a more up-to date camera, you would have to scrap all your lenses and flashes and start ALL OVER again.

So, any help on this would help. What would I be looking at (UK) for one 400 mm zoom and a remote flash for each camera?

I see R100 = £670 and 2000D £400

If you have some good lenses you can use them with E mount cameras on the LA-EA4 adapter. Otherwise why not look at a used A68 or A77 II.

Same applies to the Canon R100 - it takes RF fit lenses natively but the adaptor to allow it to take EF mount lenses (and there are zillions of those out there) isn't too expensive

I ran across a Canon original EF/RF adaptor for £30 in a s/h shop in (I want to say) Hereford - they robbed me blind for postage £10 - I saw it in the window, they were shut, rang up next day (because I was in not Hereford).

There are aftermarket adaptors too but be careful to check that they're automatic.

Mythbusting time.
Welcome to TP
Most of the active membership here are amateurs, it’s becoming a common misconception that people with proper cameras are ‘professional’ or indeed that the cameras themselves are.

As above, whilst Sony discontinued the mount for their early DSLR’s there’s still a s/h market and the chance of adapting (I’m no Sony expert).

However, the Canons I know a bit about; and whilst those 2 cameras have different mounts, the new Canon R cameras can use any EF or EFS lenses via an adaptor that will enable the lens to work at least as well as it did on an old camera.

Edit
And a waste of words as it took me overnight to finish this post.

A shout out for the EF / EOS systems? Some great used bargains for digital SLR, work very well and lots of lenses. Lots of bang for your buck. EF400mm f5.6l going for under £500 now on a well known auction site. #justsaying

Please let us know which lenses you have for your A200, what sort of budget you have for upgrading, and what sort of things you like to photograph - these will help us give you better guidance over what options are open to you.

As a generalisation, there are a three basic options if you were to stay with Sony.
1) Keep the existing A-Mount lenses from your A200, and get a more recent (but still second hand) A-Mount body.
Any of A65 / A68 / A77 / A77ii would be a significant step up from the A200, without needing to change lenses - the A77 /A65 would use the same flash, the A68 / A77ii use the new MIS style hotshoe, BUT if you are using the pop up flash to remotely trigger external Sony flash, this system is unchanged, so you woudl still be able to use your existing flash off-camera.
2) Switch to E-Mount, and use an adaptor with your existing lenses.
This will depend on which lenses you have, and what sort of budget you have. The A-Mount adaptors don't work particularly well with the older (cheaper) E-Mount cameras, and older (screw-drive) lenses don't work as well as newer (in lens motor) lenses when adapted. You may be able to use your existing external flash via remote optical triggering (I have an A6000 and old Sony flash, so can test this if you need me to).
3) Sell all you have, and buy a new (or second hand) E-Mount camera, lenses and flash (If you do, I'd suggest buying Godox flash, rather than Sony).

Last edited:
have had for a very long time a Sony Alpa 200.Sony discontinued this line for a new one. My problem has been that all my extra lenses and my remote flashes where not compatible.
I think you may be asking the wrong question.

You might look for a later, second hand camera from the Alpha series. That way, all your lenses and most of your accessories will be compatible. I use a pair of A65s and these are as good as any other camera for my needs. They represent a big step up from your current body (24MP against 10MP).

Here's one of mine with a Sigma ultrawide fitted...

Sony A65 Sigma 10-20mm GX7 P1140752.JPG

I think you may be asking the wrong question.

You might look for a later, second hand camera from the Alpha series. That way, all your lenses and most of your accessories will be compatible. I use a pair of A65s and these are as good as any other camera for my needs. They represent a big step up from your current body (24MP against 10MP).
I agree, one of the later A-Mount APS-C bodies would be a noticeable step up from the A200, and cheap.
(added the A65 to my answer).

Back