Best Camera Setting For Crufts 2012

Name
Isabelle
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone, haven't been on here for a while :eek: and I don't know if this is the right place to put this question!
But I would like some advice as I have bought tickets for Crufts and I would like to take pictures of friends and their canines in action! Basically I struggle with indoor settings without using a flash as they always come out blurry/ too dark/ or too light with no and I want to know the best settings to use without using the flash :)

Hi Isabelle, not easy to answer really. But keeping your shutter as fast as you can will help you most, keep the ISO as high as you dare go with, and a fast lens if you have one, but that will depend on what focal length you will need to use.

Thankyou for your reply, whats also best? Tv mode or sports mode?

Not wanting to sound like one of those annoying people but it might help to brush up on the basic rules of exposure, since it sounds like you're not sure.....

There is no 'best camera setting' unfortunately, all depends on the light. But yes TV would be better than Sports mode as you can have a degree of control over what you are doing. However if the event in question is very soon then I would suggest you stick to Sports mode this time as you may not get the pictures you want if you are just starting out on the road of controlling your camera settings.

I can recommend this book, and it seems so can many other people!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Camera/dp/0817463003

from my experience of crufts a decent length lens, unless you're taking photos on the Benches, its difficult to get that close

you'll need fast glass. An f/2.8 lens would be good, something faster would be better. An 85 1.8 wouldn't be bad for the rings since you can't get too close there usually. A 35 or 50 1.8 would be okay for walking around, the booths, and the holding pens. I tried with both my 18-55 and 55-200 and didn't have enough light, even bumping to ISO 1600.

Also, I suggest you shoot in RAW if it is in the NEC again. There are at least 3 different types of lights in the main building plus there are windows for sunlight (or bright blue sky depending on time of day and side of the building. Without flash you'll never have a consistent light color.

Thanks,
Rick

Back