Best camera strap for mirrorless

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to get a neck strap for my mirrorless camera, Peak Designs see to get a lot of good reviews, but can't decide between the Leash or Slide Lite, anyone got any recommendations?

I use still use the original peak design slide. Had it since first time it came out. Its very good and no issues so far.

What size of camera they vary a bit between a Nikon 1 and a Hasselblad XD1

I have to admit to being a PD fan, I have the Slide Lite, the Cuff and the Capture Clip. They all work great, well made, I in particularly like the newer designs, much better than plain black.

Is there any camera strap system that allows you to attach the strap to the camera lugs and also has additional fasteners or connections to connect to a lens tripod foot at the same time?

It seems to me that no matter how good the strap may be; that if you have a heavy lens and the cameras bayonet mount failed either the lens or camera is going to fall to the ground depending on which item you have attached the strap to.

Peak Design Leash is perfect (for almost any camera) To me, the Slide Lite is actually too big for MFT.... I've had both of them myself and still have the Leash which is permanently attached to my camera.

I've always used Black Rapid straps, however, having looked at Peak Design I've just ordered a Leash, it's lighter and looks less cumbersome than the Black Rapid and would be ideal for travel.

All down to taste. I use an OpTech neoprene one on my X-T2 with the 100-400 mounted since it has a larger area to spread the weight of the things but on the others I use narrower Tamrac neoprene straps which have small pouches on which hold spare batteries.

Is there any camera strap system that allows you to attach the strap to the camera lugs and also has additional fasteners or connections to connect to a lens tripod foot at the same time?

It seems to me that no matter how good the strap may be; that if you have a heavy lens and the cameras bayonet mount failed either the lens or camera is going to fall to the ground depending on which item you have attached the strap to.

A DIY solution is probably your best bet and very simple. I have a BR sling that I use for my camera and 150-600mm Sigma. Because sometimes my hands don't work too well and tightening can be an issue I made up a second anchor so I have one one the lens foot, one on the camera tripod bush. I think I used some Optech loops and I got a decent metal attachment with allen key.

A DIY solution is probably your best bet and very simple. I have a BR sling that I use for my camera and 150-600mm Sigma. Because sometimes my hands don't work too well and tightening can be an issue I made up a second anchor so I have one one the lens foot, one on the camera tripod bush. I think I used some Optech loops and I got a decent metal attachment with allen key.

Thanks.

I was thinking of doing something similar as I can't find a ready made solution.

So are the additional Optech loops, looped around the main camera strap, which I presume is attached to the camera lugs?

I'm unsure whether to do that or simply use two different straps - one attaching the camera lugs and another attaching to the lens tripod foot or possibly one end of the second strap attaching to the lens and the other to the camera tripod bush. But that may be too cumbersome and unwieldy in use!

I really don't understand why a camera strap manufacturer has not thought to make a strap with a 'Y' piece at each end allowing both lens and camera to be safely attached at the same time.

Personally, I don't think you can beat a "sling" type strap rather than one around your neck. Rapid Strap, Peak Design and others all have similar versions of the same thing.

Thanks.

I was thinking of doing something similar as I can't find a ready made solution.

So are the additional Optech loops, looped around the main camera strap, which I presume is attached to the camera lugs?

I'm unsure whether to do that or simply use two different straps - one attaching the camera lugs and another attaching to the lens tripod foot or possibly one end of the second strap attaching to the lens and the other to the camera tripod bush. But that may be too cumbersome and unwieldy in use!

I really don't understand why a camera strap manufacturer has not thought to make a strap with a 'Y' piece at each end allowing both lens and camera to be safely attached at the same time.

MY BR is a sling strap, so doesn't attach to the camera lugs. There's a sliding fitting with a karibiner on a swivel for one attachment so I just used two loops end to end (to get the length) off the same fitting, with another karibiner. The problem with a neck strap is that if it becomes detached, anything just looped round it is probably going to slide straight off unless you attach it in some way, but that should be possible. I rarely use a neck strap with my camera as I find them uncomfortable. I use the PD quick release system so I can use neck strap, wrist strap or the Black Rapid, depending on what I'm doing.

Personally, I don't think you can beat a "sling" type strap rather than one around your neck. Rapid Strap, Peak Design and others all have similar versions of the same thing.

As far as I know none of them have two attachments points - it's just very easy to rig up your own. Just adds an extra cost, but against the price of replacing a camera or lens............

I'm sure you're right; but I'm thinking less of the functionality of the strap and more about the security of the camera and lens.

Regardless of whether you have a conventional neck strap or a sling; they're designed to attach either the camera or the lens - not both simultaneously.

With a 'Y' piece at either end of the strap that would be possible.

There may be a simple reason for not doing that but I can't think of it!

Another recommendation for the Peak Design Leash - I bought one recently and am delighted with it. Very quick and easy to attach or detach (and a one handed affair to remove) and very easy to adjust the length. Lovely design and manufacture, and the inclusion of additional red ‘dots’ is useful - I have attached the second pair to my binos to use the same leash.

MY BR is a sling strap, so doesn't attach to the camera lugs. There's a sliding fitting with a karibiner on a swivel for one attachment so I just used two loops end to end (to get the length) off the same fitting, with another karibiner. The problem with a neck strap is that if it becomes detached, anything just looped round it is probably going to slide straight off unless you attach it in some way, but that should be possible. I rarely use a neck strap with my camera as I find them uncomfortable. I use the PD quick release system so I can use neck strap, wrist strap or the Black Rapid, depending on what I'm doing.

Ah; thanks for the clarification.

As far as I know none of them have two attachments points - it's just very easy to rig up your own. Just adds an extra cost, but against the price of replacing a camera or lens............

Thanks - I see that I'll have to do something similar.

I get really frustrated with the Peak Design Slide/Leash.

1 - It's has hard parts the metal buckle means there is 2 massive points where it won't squeeze into places in the bag, the 2 latches is another 2.
2 - The buckles is on the inside. Why?
3 - It doesn't really grip the shoulders that well.
4 - when you put the camera down and let the strap "fall" naturally, there are now 4 metal objects which can hit your camera. Urgh.

I really tried, but the more I use it, the more I think this isn't a problem they needed to solve, just make it simple, soft leather and stop with this crappy high tech material with metal buckles on the wrong side! In return they made something that has more problems before it ever begun.

I'm sure you're right; but I'm thinking less of the functionality of the strap and more about the security of the camera and lens.

Regardless of whether you have a conventional neck strap or a sling; they're designed to attach either the camera or the lens - not both simultaneously.

With a 'Y' piece at either end of the strap that would be possible.

There may be a simple reason for not doing that but I can't think of it!

Danny, I use a Rapid strap on all of my bodies & lenses, for a body and a "normal" lens, it's perfectly safe, that includes the T2 with 100-400 & 1.4TC. I either use the supplied screw in connector or a Manfrotto QR plat & ring. 4 years in, nothing has ever given way.

I even used it with a gripped 7D2 & Sigma 150-600 Sport (about twice the weight of the Fuji set up). The sling distributes the weight better, and allows you to have the body fixed in a decent position so you can walk without it bumping you all yje time. I find it best just behind my hip, bot others have it further round.

Agreed, I have used a 2nd attachment when I had the 150-600, but found it uncomfortable to walk with.

As this is specifically for a light light weight camera rig the peak designs ones would be overkill ,since moving to micro four thirds myself I have gone back to a simple op-tech strap ,most comfortable option

I've always used the peak design slides but I've been trying out a joby pro sling strap and it's excellent. It adjusts to length as you swing the camera up from your hip and you can pull it shorter by pulling a loop built into it. It also comes with a tether for extra piece of mind. I don't think my slide will be going back on.

Well been having a bit of a tidy up and found an OpTech pro strap i forgot i had, so for now that's been put on my camera at it's longest length so i can use it sling style. Will see how i get on first before splashing out on another camera strap.

Back