Best camera to control and focus through liveview

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I've been looking in to upgrading my Canon 60D for a little while now. I use a tablet loaded with software to control the camera settings, and also use it as a live view to focus on the subject.

I've recently tried using a Nikon D810 with the set up (as i have access to good quality nikon lenses as my sister uses nikon), and this works ok, the only slight issue I have is that the autofocus is a little slow and continuous autofocus seems to not work well atall. I have seen that the newer canons and sony cameras seem to focus better in live view, although i'm not sure how good focus tracking/continuous focus would be using a tablet in the way that i do.

I'm just looking for recommendations to try out in a shop so I know where to start.

So really I'm weighing up staying with the d810, due to good image quality and having access to lenses or going with canon or sony for better and more effective focusing in live view.

I want to focus on portraits, landscapes and macro photography.

If that’s your primary aim, the dual pixel AF in the latest Canon cameras both DSLR and mirrorless is excellent. The touchscreen on the EOS M5 is snappy, though I haven’t tried it with a tablet or phone.

Not as good as using a top DSLR and optical viewfinder of course, but your requirement is for remote shooting.

The Canon 60D doesn't have the best live view AF, but the newer ones with dual pixel AF will be much better, like the 80D.

Sony have a good reputation for live view AF. Check out someone like Jason Lanier on youtube, he shoots portraits holding the camera at arms length using just live view and the keeper rate seems fantastic even when the subject is moving and he's shooting 10fps (check out his latest video testing the new Sony A7 III for example).
Not sure how well the Sony's will tether with a tablet though.
As for adapting lenses, I've only seen people put Canon lenses onto Sony bodies and these seem to work really well with AF, which is great if you're swapping from Canon to Sony. But I've no idea whether you'd get the same with Nikon glass.

Without a doubt, 1dx II. Supurb, fast, accurate focusing with liveview

Avoid Sony....that might sound strange coming from someone who shoots Sony but the app for IOS is terrible, the Sony remote app for a laptop and USB tethering is fine and works well but only fully integrates with the A7riii.

Presumably you are using something like DSLR controller and an OTG cable to connect the camera to the tablet.
I did not find the app particularly speedy using a Galaxy Tab or a Moto G4 connected to a Canon 5D Mk2, although the phone was marginally quicker than the tablet ( it was newer).
I wonder if the delay is on the tablet rather than the camera?

Presumably you are using something like DSLR controller and an OTG cable to connect the camera to the tablet.
I did not find the app particularly speedy using a Galaxy Tab or a Moto G4 connected to a Canon 5D Mk2, although the phone was marginally quicker than the tablet ( it was newer).
I use a 6D connected via WiFi to a phone and find it sluggish to focus. It's ok for the occasional shot but tethering via USB to a computer running lightroom would be better, though it wouldn't improve live view AF speed as it doesn't have dual pixel AF. (which is the key thing you want for speedy live view). Tethering to a computer is only really practical at home though, which is fine for your macro work.

Last edited:
Mirrorless. Permanent live view.

If that’s your primary aim, the dual pixel AF in the latest Canon cameras both DSLR and mirrorless is excellent. The touchscreen on the EOS M5 is snappy, though I haven’t tried it with a tablet or phone.

Not as good as using a top DSLR and optical viewfinder of course, but your requirement is for remote shooting.

I had read that the dual pixel AF is currently the best for live view focusing which is what made me think about newer models

The Canon 60D doesn't have the best live view AF, but the newer ones with dual pixel AF will be much better, like the 80D.

Sony have a good reputation for live view AF. Check out someone like Jason Lanier on youtube, he shoots portraits holding the camera at arms length using just live view and the keeper rate seems fantastic even when the subject is moving and he's shooting 10fps (check out his latest video testing the new Sony A7 III for example).
Not sure how well the Sony's will tether with a tablet though.
As for adapting lenses, I've only seen people put Canon lenses onto Sony bodies and these seem to work really well with AF, which is great if you're swapping from Canon to Sony. But I've no idea whether you'd get the same with Nikon glass.

Yeah I was considering looking at the 80D for this reason, not sure if the jump from 60-80D is worth it though ? especially when compared to others

Without a doubt, 1dx II. Supurb, fast, accurate focusing with liveview

I should probably have added a budget! Which would be at a push £1300-1400 and would consider second hand.

That is the set up i am using, and i did wonder if it was that lag or if it was the camera itself

I use a 6D connected via WiFi to a phone and find it sluggish to focus. It's ok for the occasional shot but tethering via USB to a computer running lightroom would be better, though it wouldn't improve live view AF speed as it doesn't have dual pixel AF. (which is the key thing you want for speedy live view). Tethering to a computer is only really practical at home though, which is fine for your macro work.

I wonder if the Mkii would be much quicker? I tried tethering through lightroom and it doesn't let me see a live view image or change camera settings

I wonder if the Mkii would be much quicker? I tried tethering through lightroom and it doesn't let me see a live view image or change camera settings
The Mk2 should be better, lots of people rate the dual pixel AF for video/vlogging. But even the 80D will be better and the image quality will be quite a bit better than the 60D.
The 80D will do remote shooting over wifi to a laptop too.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOcQwiOGCkc

Hi all,

Thanks again for all the replies.

I have tested out the d810 and done some thinking. My thinking is that regardless of what system I choose, it is going to be a bit of an uphill battle to get things working quick and smoothly.
So I'm going to take it as a challenge, and rather than fight against it, embrace it and work in a slower way and use the challenges and slightly slower way of taking photos as a way to develop my own style.
The other thing is that i could spend months thinking about all the issues rather than just taking photos! So, I've been working with the d810 and will stick with this, and hopefully upload some photos in the near future!

Thanks again!

Back