Best Canon camera for basic use

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
I relative of mine has always been a Canon user but uses the auto setting with JPEG and is not interested in learning the other settings or in any post processing software. Most of his cameras have been APS-C but he moved from a 90D to a R6 mark I a couple of years ago. He does not have many lenses and for general use prefers a lens that covers a large range eg 24-240. He currently has a R lens for this range, a 150-400L mark i and a couple others.

He bought the R6 with the intention of learning to use more features but this has not happened and realises that a lower spec camera would have been sufficient. He mainly takes family photos but also goes on regular safaris.

He is now looking for a camera with less options that can still produce “quality shots”. Still wants a DSLR or mirrorless. I am not sure what to suggest as all the current Canon cameras that meet these criteria have more functions than he would use. Moving back to DSLR would mean that he could not use his R lens, but this could be easily be sold.

I am tempted to say keep with the R6 even it is only used in Auto as it is a fine camera. Used prices are reducing so even changing to a basic camera may result in a financial loss.

Any suggestions?

As he already has an R lens, I'd look at the newer R APSC cameras.

However, you're probably right, and there's little financial point in selling the R6 to buy something 'worse'

And as I always say - there's no such thing as a 'beginner camera', both an R100 and R3 have Manual, semi auto and auto modes, and the honest difference is... the R3 will be easier to use :)

Back