Best Canon EOS Body for Motorsport & Trains

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Am into taking pics of Motorsport (Rallying) & Trains. I currently have an EOS550D but am thinking of upgrading. Just want to know which body would be more suited to my subjects. 5D MK2, 7D or 60D
I already have the lenses I need (I think) 10-22 EF-S (Which I know won't work on a 5D MK2) 24-105L, 50mm f1.4, 70-200 f4L, 1.4X Tele.

All advice will be gladly received.

Kind regards, Kevin

If you're more m/sport oriented I'd like to throw a 1D MkIII or even a MkIIn into the mix - the weather-sealing on the 1D can be quite useful in a wet forest, or on a windswept and rainy ex-aerodrome circuit.

I think the 7D would be bud. A lot of people ask if they should get a 7D or a 5D MKII and the answer is 7D is better in low light conditions apparently.

Beav said:
I think the 7D would be bud. A lot of people ask if they should get a 7D or a 5D MKII and the answer is 7D is better in low light conditions apparently.

Whilst I'd go 7d over 5d2 for Motorsport it's in no way better than 5d2 in low light.

I'd also consider 1d2 or 1d3

Many thanks. keep the answers coming please. I want something that can track a moving object quickly. Am doing ok with the 550D and am getting some good results. The fiddly thing is, if I need to change the settings quickly. I know the AF system is supposed to be excellent on the 7D. I tend to use centre point focus and sometimes Back Button (When I remember :razz:)

Now, with the 1D MK2 I see it is only 8.2MP. With the nature of my pics I do tend to do quite a bit of cropping. I could see this as an issue with this one?

In that case shouldnt you be considering a longer lens?

I don't heavily crop (Unless I have to) Just framing etc really. I have a 70-200 with a 1.4X Tele-Converter which tends to do the job. I would like to eventually get a 100-400mm but that's out of my budget yet :crying:

Frosticles said:
Now, with the 1D MK2 I see it is only 8.2MP. With the nature of my pics I do tend to do quite a bit of cropping. I could see this as an issue with this one?

The res of the 1d2 doesn't lend itself to heavy cropping so you would need to consider both your lens and also what you actually plan to do with your images.

Also consider the ability to AF at f8 with the 1d options.

Last edited:
Since starting digital slr-ery backin 2002, I've learnt one thing primarily:

There's no substitute for good glass.

The 2.8 70-200L IS I bought way back then, is still serving me well today and still worth a fair old chunk of money - the Canon D60 that I bought to go behind it is now worth buttons.

My advice would be to swap your f4 70-200 for the f2.8 - it'll give you much more light, it'll let the body you've got work better, and the IS will give you another couple of stops as well - plus if you use your 1.4x you'll still only be at f4.

Oh and there's a very low mileage MkIIn in the classifieds atm.

I hate to refer people to another forum, but this thread is well worth a look:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1095553

-Rob

ps Having said that, one of the best car togs that I know shoots with a 650D....

Been having a sneaky look at some of the 1d MK2 pics. Do look excellent. There is a MK2 "N" about as well???

For motorsport I would choose the 7D out of the three you have identified
I agree

I've found that a 7D on a Canon Mk1 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS works really well at amateur events like Hillclimbing where you can get much closer than F1. The venue and atmosphere are much more fun too.

1D III :)

If your budget goes to a 5D2 then the simple answer for Motorsport is 1D3 !!! I have one for MS and would not be without it. The AF is simply amazing !!!

If looking used, it's only fair to look at used 7Ds, which can be had for around £600 now.

Personally, 7D, or 5D MkIII but it's probably out of budget.

Digitalize said:
If looking used, it's only fair to look at used 7Ds, which can be had for around £600 now.

But surely if the OP wants a camera for Motorsport, you should go for the best one available within your budget....why have beef when you can have horse !!! :)

Can't see a 5D III being much use for sports stuff, what a strange suggestion

Think your getting mixed up with the 5d mk2.

Nope no confusion here, the 5D III is a great camera but the FPS lets it down when it comes to sports stuff. It only shoots 6 FPS, less than a 50D, where as the 7D is 8 FPS and the 1D III is 10 FPS.

Doesn't seem like a huge difference but it is in real life.......especially motorsport.

Can't see a 5D III being much use for sports stuff, what a strange suggestion

It has by far the best focusing system of any camera mentioned, the speed and ability to follow a subject is incredible, at least with a 24-70 MkII. I'd think 6FPS would be enough, not to mention large sensor so good amount of cropping available, and good ISO management for darker days/extension use

It has by far the best focusing system of any camera mentioned, the speed and ability to follow a subject is incredible, at least with a 24-70 MkII. I'd think 6FPS would be enough, not to mention large sensor so good amount of cropping available, and good ISO management for darker days/extension use

Better than the 1D3 !!!!

Not so sure about that

I use the 60D for my motorsport and it works fine in low light af tracking, was at cadwell today in the rain and it copes fine, just to throw that into the mix, but all of the above are perfectly capable and adequate so long as you are. :)

Ok. Took the plunge and bought a 7d from digital rev this evening. Many thanks to all that have replied to this thread.

Kind regards, Kevin.

Back