Best Canon Lenses

24-105mm is superb, and definitely nicer than 24-70mm to use.

In what way ?
I am in the enviable position of having both the 24-105 and the 24-70 and cannot work out which to keep - the extra length of the 105 is SO useful, but the extra stop of the 70 is also wonderful at times.
I find myself using the 105 more as my walk-about lens but cannot bring myself to sell the 70 despite needing the cash to fund a 70-200 f2.8..
So, any input as to why you prefer the 105 might just help sway me.
I take a lot of pictures of kids, often in classrooms, meaning low light but longer reach, and am thinking that the 70-200 might become the most used lens. Some recent dance theatre work with my 70-200 f4 showed me just how much the extra stop would have helped.

Apart from all the obvious thats coming out i think its hard to beat the Canon 85mm f/1.8 for the price. Bokeh on this lens is great and on a FF camera its the perfect portrait lens.

It where you obtain a shallow depth of field to achieve an out of focus background. Some lenses do it well others don't and the 85 f/1.8 is top of the class.

Bokeh comes from the japanese word boke, which means haze, blur or senility...

this is why old manual focus prime lenses have nice bokeh... they have had longer to go senile :)

In what way ?
I am in the enviable position of having both the 24-105 and the 24-70 and cannot work out which to keep - the extra length of the 105 is SO useful, but the extra stop of the 70 is also wonderful at times.
I find myself using the 105 more as my walk-about lens but cannot bring myself to sell the 70 despite needing the cash to fund a 70-200 f2.8..
So, any input as to why you prefer the 105 might just help sway me.
I take a lot of pictures of kids, often in classrooms, meaning low light but longer reach, and am thinking that the 70-200 might become the most used lens. Some recent dance theatre work with my 70-200 f4 showed me just how much the extra stop would have helped.

I found f/4 lens to be sharper at f/4 with the added bonus of IS, and I don't think you will tell them apart at f/8. Weight and range is another bonus of f/4. f/2.8 is not that special at 24-70mm range and I usually find myself wanting to go down to f/2.0 anyway hence I prefer to use primes in these situations.

Thanks for that - I am slowly getting closer to thinking that the 24-70 might have to go, despite its extra stop - it ought to also fetch more than the 24-105..!
I do not have any primes as so often I need to be able to zoom in or out and not having the space to walk back and forth without stepping on small children makes them (zooms, not children) less useful !

I would keep your 24-70 over the 24-105 anyday!

I agree, 24-70 is a keeper imo. A LOT of people upgrade to the 24-70 from the 24-105

I have also had both the 24-105 and currently own the 24-70. I would much rather have the 24-70. The extra stop makes it much more versatile for me. I like to shoot shallow depth of field too for things like portraiture so its a no brainer for me.

I upgraded to it from the 24-105 for that reason and it pairs well to my 70-200 2.8 is.

Back