Best Carbon Fiber Tripod?

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
as the title suggests really. any recommendations?
been looking at the 3leggedthings ones and they look pretty good.
any advice is welcome...

cheers!
J.

Teamwork have some gitzo's in the clearance at the moment. Worth every penny

Regards the Gitzo carbon fibre range, if using the likes of a gripped 5D with 70-200 which Gitzo model would suit and at what price etc..?

I have a gripped 7D and use everything from a 28-70 to a 70-200 to a 100-400 and a 600 on my Gitzo GT3541LS Series 3 Systematic Tripod. handles all that lot with ease. Price is now £589.95 from Warehouse Express, but may be cheaper elsewhere :shrug:

Pay once only for the best. Buy cheap and you will buy twice

Gitzo make the best tripods- forget cost, just use one and tell me otherwise:)

End of discussion.

Anything else is just playing.

I've had my carbon Manfrotto (MF4 which is superb, but maybe not the lightest these days) for quite a few years and it's survived alot of abuse as it tends to take all the knocks and scrapes. I've been able to replace a number of parts on it through spares mail order, which means I shouldn't ever need to replace the whole thing. I remember it was a significant investment!

So, whilst I've never tried a Gitzo which I've also heard are really good, I'd look into whether you can get parts for it as you'll most likely have it for years, being used in all conditions!

The tripod is one thing, and Gitzo make the best, though some of the Chinese clones (Benro, Feisol, Triopo) run them very close at half the price. I use a carbon Benro and it is very nice indeed.

Then there's the head - the main user interface. I was shooting with a mate recently who has got it the right way around I think. He had a relatively modest tripod (though a nice carbon jobbie) but the head cost twice as much - Arca-Swiss Z1.

Don't assume CF are better, there are many pitfalls with CF, and shooting landscapes in a breeze is one, there was also someone on this site who lost his gear when he took it to the sea and it blew over ..........

Giottos Alloy for me all the way.

+1

Mines coupled to Giottos ball head -I'm well pleased with the set up.

I have a 3-way head as I prefer that for my landscapes.

And for the person advising against CF tripod because of breezy days. I spent all morning today hiking cliffs and taking pictures from the very edge of very high cliffs and believe me when I say it was a very windy morning, I came back with all my gear intact :wave:
On days like this even iron tripod would not prevent a disaster... common sense will though and holding your tripod/camera while taking pictures on windy days is a good advice whatever tripod you have.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if sirui tripods are available in the UK but they are good and half the price of Gitzo. It comes with a padded tripod bag and ball head. I'm using the T2205X and loving it! I can't remember the price but it should be around 160 quids in Asia. Get Sirui if you don't want to spend on a Gitzo.

Benro tripods come recommended from me. Excellent value for money, my Travel Angel tripod cost around £220 if I remember correctly) but more than half the price of the equivalent Gitzo, so in relative terms I guess you could say that is rather cheap for a high quality portable tripod. The build quality of these tripods are second to none too. :)

Gitzo if you have money to burn and want the absolute best there is.

I have Giottos carbon fibre tripod and can recommend it (y)
I have one too and can recommend them. Good value for your money I reckon. (y)

Gitzo if you have money to burn and want the absolute best there is.

I don't agree, I bought a secondhand Gitzo GT2530 Lvl tripod for £220 in as new condition. I have used it with a Manfrotto 410 geared head and also a Manfrotto 222 joystick head. Even though it is relatively light at about 3.5lbs without the head it is amazingly stiff when extended and although it has an advertised 12kg load capacity, I believe it is capable of much more although I have not had need to try this out. But this chap did!

I would say that it is the best tripod I have ever used and I have had and used many over the years including some costing considerably more and other much heavier. I currently also have a Manfrotto 058 Triaut (also excellent but you won't be carrying it very far unless you are built like Popeye) and this has the same advertised load capacity of the Gitzo but at over 4x the weight of the Gitzo at 6.15kgs it is a monster, Benbo Mk1 (can't remember the last time I used it) and a small Slik model with fluid head my wife occasionally uses for video.

With tripods you certainly get what you pay for see Digital Revs Tripod tests for some humorous examples.

Wow didn't know you get 'em that cheap Ed! I was more meaning the difference between a £500+ Gitzo and a £150 Giottos. I really looked hard at the Gitzos when I was after a cf tripod but I really couldn't afford more than £200 at the time.

Don't assume CF are better, there are many pitfalls with CF, and shooting landscapes in a breeze is one, there was also someone on this site who lost his gear when he took it to the sea and it blew over ..........

There are no pitfalls with carbon fibre, it is stiffer than aluminium, lighter than aluminium and no more likely to blow over in the wind than aluminium ... unless your aluminium tripod is a Losmandy G11 ;)

If you really want the best, then have a look at Really Right Stuff. Fantastic quality but at a price!!! (y)

Martyn... said:
There are no pitfalls with carbon fibre, it is stiffer than aluminium, lighter than aluminium and no more likely to blow over in the wind than aluminium ... unless your aluminium tripod is a Losmandy G11 ;)

Hmmm try using most cf tripods in seawater then see if you still think there are no pitfalls ;(

I've a red snapper carbon. The thing about carbon tripods for me is weight. If it's not light then i'm not going to carry it far. Lightweigt tripods aren't an issue in the wind etc because usually they have a hook on the bottom of the centre pole to hang your bag from.

The carbon fibre Manfrotto 055 CX-Pro3 is meant to be excellent (around £245 ish), anyone here can give advice re this please?

Thanks.

For a carbon fibre tripod it's far too heavy- kind of defeats the point really.

You can either get used lowest model of Gitzo or brand new one of the best Giottos models for pretty much the same money. I know which one I'd get...

Actually, today I was taking some pictures using my Giottos tripod and was thinking that there is nothing I can see that can be improved on. The tripod is very light, sturdy, very well thought out and well made. There are no loose parts and everything works very nicely together. I honestely can't imagine what Gitzo could offer me that Giottos can't...

... and before you say that Gitzo is very sturdy... well I was using my tripod together with 5d mkII + 17-40L on the edge of a very high cliff yesterday on a very windy day... you get the picture (y)

... maybe I'm missing the point though

You can either get used lowest model of Gitzo or brand new one of the best Giottos models for pretty much the same money. I know which one I'd get...

Actually, today I was taking some pictures using my Giottos tripod and was thinking that there is nothing I can see that can be improved on. The tripod is very light, sturdy, very well thought out and well made. There are no loose parts and everything works very nicely together. I honestely can't imagine what Gitzo could offer me that Giottos can't...

... and before you say that Gitzo is very sturdy... well I was using my tripod together with 5d mkII + 17-40L on the edge of a very high cliff yesterday on a very windy day... you get the picture (y)

... maybe I'm missing the point though

Which Gitzo have you used ?

Which Gitzo have you used ?

None... As you probably guessed correctly.

I did try one in jessops, but that was before I gor Giottos one.

BTW I was not criticising Gitzo, I was just saying that I can't imagine what Gitzo can offer that Giottos cannot :shrug:

EDIT:
THis is the one I have:
http://www.red-door.co.uk/pages/productpages/giottos-tripods/MTL8351B.html

and this head
http://www.red-door.co.uk/pages/productpages/giottos-tripods/MH5001.html

now feel free to flame me

Last edited:
The thing about Gitzo is they only make high grade, expensive tripods and they're all pretty much as good as it gets within their type so as a brand it's hard to go wrong. They also have a long professional pedigree. The lower end is catered for by Manfrotto, which is the other half of the same company.

Giottos make some very good tripods, and some less good ones at a much lower cost. Same with Benro, and most other makes.

PS Three Legged Things are also worth looking at.

None... As you probably guessed correctly.

I did try one in jessops, but that was before I gor Giottos one.

BTW I was not criticising Gitzo, I was just saying that I can't imagine what Gitzo can offer what Giottos cannot :shrug:

I thought not, once you have you would understand the reason that they get such a glowing recommendation from anybody that has.

I owned my first Gitzo tripod for nearly 30 years, I only replaced it as I wanted a lighter carbon fibre one, it worked as well the day I gave it to a friend as it did the day I bought it.

The Gitzo 3531 will carry 18kg yet weighs only 1.6kg, I can not think any of the others will match that. This is important when you are using 500 & 600mm lenses as the stress on the tripod is far greater than with shorter lenses.

The Gitzo has a wonderful twist lock system to the legs, which are simple and effective in use.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with Giottos, Manfrotto or the Benro carbon fibre tripods, however the OP asked which was the best, having used one for many years the answer would be Gitzo.

To add in response to your edit

No intention of flaming you ... that looks a nice tripod,and good value for money, but it's rated at 5kg and weighs 1.6kg ... my Gitzo 3531 is rated at 18kg and weighs the same.

This may not seem much of a difference but my lens, body and head weigh over 5kg, I need the extra load carrying and rigidity of the Gitzo.

Thanks for that, if the Giottos will be not enough one day, I will have a proper look at Gitzo.

My heaviest lens at the moment is Canon 70-200 f4, so not the heaviest. I don't shoot birds, sport or wild animals. I like my landscapes, portrait and a bit of street photography (tripod not needed for the last one), so for my use Giottos is enough I think.

5d mark II is 810g (body only), heaviest lens 70-200 f4 is 705g and the head is 820g, so still inside the limit.

All that does not mean that I will not buy a heavier lens at some point in future ;)

I know next to nothing about carbon fibre tripods but im just reading Septembers edition of PP and their Group Test feature recommends the Velbon Geo E-530 with QHD-610 head. Comes in at £300. Hope that helps

I have a gitzo, and it is excellent. But one thing to be aware of is that I have heard their customer service is rubbish. This could be a problem. Whilst you may think nothing can ever go wrong on a tripod, I took mine seawatching, and salt spray has corroded the nuts at the top of the lehs. Stunned.

wow, thanks for the awesome response guys! have any of you had any experience with the 3legged thing carbon tripods? they seem pretty good value for money...
:shrug:

wow, thanks for the awesome response guys! have any of you had any experience with the 3legged thing carbon tripods? they seem pretty good value for money...
:shrug:

I have the 3LT Kirk X2a Mag Alloy tripod. Rated to 12Kg, solid enough for my use (managed a 90s exposure on a shale beach okay) and seems pretty light to me (it's within 200g if the CF version iirc). Also folds pretty small and comes with a bag. It was free, but I would buy one having used it.

I have a review of it here: http://www.cpearson.me.uk/2011/10/3-legged-thing-kirk-x2a-tripod-review/

I have the 3LT Kirk X2a Mag Alloy tripod. Rated to 12Kg, solid enough for my use (managed a 90s exposure on a shale beach okay) and seems pretty light to me (it's within 200g if the CF version iirc). Also folds pretty small and comes with a bag. It was free, but I would buy one having used it.

I have a review of it here: http://www.cpearson.me.uk/2011/10/3-legged-thing-kirk-x2a-tripod-review/

hmm.... signifantly cheaper than the carbon one's too. http://www.3leggedthing.com/x2akirkkit.html
weighs 2.17kg even with the ball head. that's worth considering. cheers.

hmm.... signifantly cheaper than the carbon one's too. http://www.3leggedthing.com/x2akirkkit.html
weighs 2.17kg even with the ball head. that's worth considering. cheers.

If you've used top end stuff I would suspect you'll find certain areas wanting, eg the pan wobble.

However if you haven't I really can't see people wanting more unless they need to hold up a big lens, in which case a small light tripod will never be right CF or not.

Back