Best day hiking camera bag ?

Edit My Images
No
As title, I'm on the hunt for a green, 'long day hike' camera bag - I already own the Lowepro Pro Trekker BP 550AWII - massive but not really got a compartment to put dinner, and drinks supplies and extra clothes etc.

I also have a Manfrotto Street Slim (older version), which is great as a smaller day bag but its about 15% too small - and the top compartment isn't quite good enough.

I'm looking for something in between that will allow ample storage for food, drink and clothes, but also a reasonable area for camera gear (1 camera, 2-3 lenses and a filter system + DJI Mini 3 pro) - but not massive bag either.

Current contenders are:

Lowepro Flipside Trek BP 350/450 AW - I like the access from the back so I can put it down - not sure which size 350 or 450 - but the top compartment doesn't look quite big enough ?

Lowepro PhotoSport X Backpack 35L - expensive and not sure

Anything I've missed?

Intentions are 10-15 mile day hikes with this.

Hi Ben, check out this thread which has a similar theme to yours. https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...k-recommendations-please.754310/#post-9403636

Of the bags I have owned and used similarly I wou8ld say look at the LowePro Powder BP 500 (https://www.lowepro.com/global/powder-backpack-500-aw-lp37230-config/ ) I use one for similar day trips on my weekly Dartmoor Photowalks. The top section has a draw chors and is expandable with the top flap/lid also adjustable (even removable if you want to keep valuables in it and go light from the car).

The bag with minimal kit in the top (extra down jacket, lunch for 2, drinks, extra gloves etc) there is a separate compartment on the front that iw waterproof so you can keep wet gear in without it contaminating the rest of the pack.

DSC04161.JPG

The camera compartment.

L1000915.JPG

Shimoda Action X50

Can get it is green, it's tough, comfortable and plenty of room to carry your camera gear, lunch, waterproofs etc.

Last edited:
Shimoda Action X50

Can get it is green, it's tough, comfortable and plenty of room to carry your camera gear, lunch, waterproofs etc.

This is my issue with Shimoda and F-Stop for that matter, when you have a smaller camera insert although you get the extra space for other stuff above it there is nothing to stop that stuff falling out when you open the camear access flap, unlike the LowePro Powder BP 500 where the upper section is separated from the camera section so nothing can fall out or get in the way when you only want access to your camera kit.

Shot snipped from the Shimoda link not mine.

Screenshot 2023-10-28 124213.jpg

This is my issue with Shimoda and F-Stop for that matter, when you have a smaller camera insert although you get the extra space for other stuff above it there is nothing to stop that stuff falling out when you open the camear access flap, unlike the LowePro Powder BP 500 where the upper section is separated from the camera section so nothing can fall out or get in the way when you only want access to your camera kit.

Shot snipped from the Shimoda link not mine.

View attachment 405190

This is a problem with the F-Stop or at least it was with my Anja and is one of the reasons I got the Shimoda.

The Shimoda's top section is separate from the camera section. Everything in the top section goes into the Blue bag pictured in your photograph so nothing can fall out.

The benefit of the bag is that you can expand the top section storage if you have only one insert like the picture of push it up out of the way should you have two inserts, making the top section smaller but you still have the roll top to expand it again if you need it.

Last edited:
This is a problem with the F-Stop or at least it was with my Anja and is one of the reasons I got the Shimoda.

The Shimoda's top section is separate from the camera section. Everything in the top section goes into the Blue bag pictured in your photograph so nothing can fall out.

The benefit of the bag is that you can expact the top section storage if you have only one insert like the picture of push it up out of the way should you have two inserts, making the top section smaller but you still have the roll top to expand it again if you need it.
Thanks, I hadn't realised that the blue thing was an insert, apologies for the error. It certainly is an issue with my F-Stop Tilopa but I have made a workaround from an old backpak I had.

Tenba Axis does the job for me, I got the 20L which is just about enough space. Bigger sizes probably better for you with drone as well though.

Back