Best editing software

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
I currently use picassa but i will soon be upgrading to photoshop. Which version of photoshop is the best to get as there are so many?. I do a lot of horse,wildlife photography and also a fair amount of b&w images.I use windows 7. I deally i dont want to spend a huge amount,something like £100. Any help on this appreciated.

Before spending anything have a look at the free editors.

For example,

Photoscape,
Faststone,
Irfanview,
Paint.NET,
GIMP

The only two I have used a lot are Photoscape and GIMP. Photoscape is very simple, but does not have a lot of features, though I often find it does all I want. GIMP is much more complicated, but not, I suspect, any more complicated than many other editors.

If you don't like them then you have lost nothing.

Dave

Depends entirely on what you want to do with your images and how you shoot them.

For most people I imagine that Lightroom would be the most useful piece of software for most of the things they do (along the lines of 80% of people 80% of the time). Next most useful would be Photoshop Elements. For a very few (percentage wise) the full version of Photoshop CS is really needed.

That's just one line of products though, Adobe isn't the only pony in town - although it is the best known.

I have used GIMP but didn't really get on with it and I have used photoshop for many years, since Photoshop 7 I think.

I recently invested in an iMac and the conversion is just too expensive t the moment so I am trialing Aperture 3, seems ok.

Picture Window seems to get good reviews.

I'd never heard of it until Thom Hogan mentioned it. Rawtherapee is free.:D

Picture Window seems to get good reviews.

I'd never heard of it until Thom Hogan mentioned it. Rawtherapee is free.:D

...and still overpriced.

Have they produced a version that runs yet?

Er, yes. I've never had a problem with it so if you can't get it to run sadly I think it's probable that you have some sort of clash somewhere. If you are interested in it you can ask a question on their very helpful forum and I'm sure that someone will help you out.

I haven't used it a lot, mostly before my Panny cameras were supported by CS, or very deeply but looking at the stunning results that some people are getting with it it must be a very capable package.

I have used GIMP but didn't really get on with it and I have used photoshop for many years, since Photoshop 7 I think.

I recently invested in an iMac and the conversion is just too expensive t the moment so I am trialing Aperture 3, seems ok.

I prefer using Aperture, trialled Lightroom and decided against buying the full version. My other half has just bought me PSE 10 for Christmas :) (at my request :LOL: )

For your b & w conversions you should have a look at GIMP + the GMIC plugin.

I've been using GIMP for a while and just starting to trail other options. Started with CaptureNx2 for processing Nikon Raw files and was happy but not blown away. Next up is to try photoshop.

GIMP has been really good and I'm still a big fan but I'm convinced that there is something out there that will meet my needs and be a bit easier/faster to use.

I use Serif and PS Elements Serif is way way more powerful and allows me to do HDR and Layers effectively whilst PS has more RAW control with the two I have a set-up like Full PS for a HUGE amount less sadly in you budget only one can be bought go for Serif you will be surprised and learn a lot and have a decnt powerful pacjage without having to wish for more like i do when in Elements ..

My other half bought me 'CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5', probably cost an arm and a leg, never used it as I dont do digital. However, the intention is to scan my negatives so 'hopefully' might come in useful if I can get to grips with it :)

Quaker said:

If you have a genuine licence for photoshop, Adobe will allow you to swap to the Mac version IIRC

Back