Best Free Software

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Any ideas on what the best free post-processing/editing software is?, and where is it available? i've used photoshop and like it, but they all seem to be 30-day trials only. :(

I have had a look on download.com and there seems to be loads.
any advice?

Regards,
James.

Picasa 3 does basic editing, non destructively, and version 3 now has a clone type tool called 'Retouch'.

It is all most people need for most editing, and for some thing, straightening a pic for example, it is a lot faster than Photoshop. Just be sure to 'Save a Copy' when you have finished editing.

I used GIMP for a while and provided you can get your head round it it's superb.

is the nikon software free? i got picture project with he d40x not much cop.....i'm sure i heard some other nikon software mentioned.

using gimp at the minute :)

Cheers for the pointers. will give GIMP a try. does it handle RAW ok?

I'll see how i get on. Cheers for the open source link too! (y)

I use Paint.net. It has curves, levels, layers etc (although not adjustment layers) and there are lots of free plug ins on the Paint.net forum.
If you have used photoshop you will have no problems finding your way around.
If it does not suit you - ask for your money back :D

another gimp user here (y) straight forward enough todo the basics....

Cheers for the pointers. will give GIMP a try. does it handle RAW ok?

Yes. You may need to download a raw processor add on. But if you search you'll find it.

Maybe this thread could be of some assistance:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=770021#post770021

I use the GIMP for image editing, Neat Image for noise reduction and RawTherapee (most of the time) or UFRaw (usually via the GIMP plug-in) for my raw conversions. I've tried Paint.NET, but the last time I've tried it, GIMP was still better for me (more tools and options I found handy).

Back