Best glass on D7200

Name
Graham Mc
Edit My Images
Yes
........for landscape photography ? i'm currently using a 16-80 f2.8 and a 16-85 f3.5-4.5, can i use the Nikon 14-24 that usually goes on FX bodies or the Sigma

Of course you can, but on a DX camera, the 14-24 will only get you 21mm at the wide end due to the 1.5x Dx crop.

........for landscape photography ? i'm currently using a 16-80 f2.8 and a 16-85 f3.5-4.5, can i use the Nikon 14-24 that usually goes on FX bodies or the Sigma

Yes. The Nikkor 14-24 will be slightly wider than your current 16mm widest setting, the Sigma 12-24 (an Fx lens, very well corrected for rectilinear distortion [so straight sea horizons]) wider still and the Sigma 10-20 (a Dx lens, not as well corrected as the 12-24 but significantly lighter!) even wider.

As Sootchucker says, you can use a full frame 14-24 on a crop frame Nikon.
However, many landscape photographers like to use shorter focal lengths - say 16mm, or so, full frame equivalent.
I'd suggest you consider something like a 10-20 zoom. Sigma's f3.5 version works well, and Nikon have an inexpensive version, but I'm not completely sure it's fully compatible with a D7200 - do some research.
IMHO the expensive Nikon 10-24 is not really worth the extra money

Nikon's 14-24 and Sigma's 12-24 are very expensive. The reason for this is that they are ultra-wides designed with a full frame image circle difficult, and expensive, to engineer
If you intend, at some time, to move to a full-frame body, all well and good. If not, their optical performance is overkill for your requirements.
My recommendation remains the Sigma 10-20 f3.5 - I'd be surprised if you were disappointed. From memory, the Nikon 10-20 needs a body later than the D7200 for the image stabilisation to work. However, the need for IS on such a wide angle is debatable.
I have experience with the Sigma 10-20 on a D500 and, IMO, it is fine. For more serious landscape work I use Nikon's 16-35 on full frame - it's a marmite lens with a lot of barrel distortion at 16mm and I'm anticipating a lot of flak on this thread for my choice! Each to his own.

Thanks for replies, i just had a look on Ken Rockwell and he says the best for DX is possibly Nikon's 12-24 f4 over the 14-24 FX.
choices choices, i can't go wrong with either it seems, for the photography i do it's about time i paired it with something decent.

Hi
I have the Nikon 12-24 f4 DX and use it on both my D300s and my D90, i like it a lot.
I have it in my DX bag along with the 16-85 and a FX 70-300 vr2 lens this makes a great DX set up for me.
I also have just last year got FX gear a D700 & D3s so now use all my FX lens on them the lens are 16-35 f4 & 24 -120 f4 and the 70-300 which swops bags when i need it to.
Look at my Flickr page and you will see loads taken with the 12-24 f4 lens.
The Nikon 10-24 and the 12-24 f4 do not have VR, i would go for the 12-24 f4 lens each time.
Paul

I use the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 PRO DX II when I need something wider than my Nikon 16-85mm. It's a very sharp lens,

Given how close your current lenses are, is it not worth considering moving one on? Could then maybe get a wide lens and a Telephoto. Longer lenses are highly underrated for landscape photography.

Given how close your current lenses are, is it not worth considering moving one on? Could then maybe get a wide lens and a Telephoto. Longer lenses are highly underrated for landscape photography.
Yes bud I've already got a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 which I love. Even tho its non OS.

I use the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 PRO DX II when I need something wider than my Nikon 16-85mm. It's a very sharp lens,

I used this on a D7100 and found it to be a very nice lens too. (y)

Back