Best hiking/walking camera bag?

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I've had a search but not a lot covers all my needs (plus I'd like some user feedback).

I currently have a Naneu K4L which has been an absolutely brilliant bag, but after nearly 5 hard years of use it's past it.

So I was looking for a camera bag to hold a Sony A7R with three lenses plus filters and a large tripod. Something that is important to me is extra space for clothing, food and other mountain essentials.

So far I've been looking at a F-Stop Satori with a Small PRO ICU
Naneu K4 V2
Naneu Outlander
Lowepro Rover 45l

The outlander seems to best choice in terms of space and I have a similar bag for wild camping, which is the K5 V2 which is awesome and well thought out. The only thing that puts me off is having to take the ICU out to get to any of my equipment and then unzip that.

Anyone got any suggestions or experiences?

I just clip my A7R to my shoulder strap and carry the other items in the rucksack within a stuff sack. Its an Ofsprey Exos rucksack by the way really light weight. IMO all the dedicated camera rucksacks make for a rubbish rucksack.

Hi James,
I got a lowepro photosport about 4 years ago and use it for walking and travelling abroad.all the details on it are on the lowepro site.but I can fit in the camera compartment a canon 7d with 17-70 lens attached and a 70-200 lens at the side.
The main compartment you can fit some clothes,food,walking gear etc and it has several small pockets for extra bits like filters,batteries,wallet etc. theres a large stuff pocket on the back which takes a waterproof, and a water pouch section which I usually put tablet/ maps/ documents in depending whether walking or travelling,,,you can attach a sleeping roll/ mat to the bottom, walking poles ,and tripod to the various attachments on the outer of the pack..I would say its a reasonable hybrid for walking / photo trips.and since I got it there's the larger 30l size and the rover pro come out, which I think has removable camera padded sections.

the best one is the one that holds all the kit you need plus the drinks and sandwiches in their own pockets.

I have the Fstop Satori and can't sing it's praises enough. I do a lot of backpacking and climbing and it is by far the most comfortable pack I have carried. Superb design and the ICU concept works well, I have a small pro and a medium and can tailor the arrangement to suit depending on if I want to carry more or less camera gear or more/less other items such as camping/climbing gear. Satori might be a bit large for your needs but Fstop's smaller bags are all great. To my mind the only downside is the cost; I bought my Satori through the TP classifieds. Paramo stock Fstop gear and are really good at notifying you when an out of stock item comes in that you want.

I love the zipped back so you can access the ICU without having to remove camping gear etc and the fact that the front of the rucksack lays on the ground so when you put the rucksack back on the back is still clean and no grass/mud etc is on it or has got near the ICU and camera gear. The pack is very rugged and not light but the comfortable carry makes it worthwhile. The material seems pretty water repellant and the top zip is water resistant but I have bought a cheap rain cover and keep the ICU and other contents in a dry bag which can be done up in heavy rain.

I've struggled to find a bag that covers this for me, I want a bag with more space for sandwiches waterproofs and stuff with just a small easily accessible camera section. My current Tamrac is ok but far from ideal the bigger bags just have more camera space not more stuff space!

Also have a look at ordinary(ie non photgraphic) rucksacks. Inserts can be fitted into one of the compartments to hold the photo gear.

Quite a few inserts available online, google for 'camera bag inserts'.

Dave

Back