Best lens for a wedding/bokeh/sharp

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Evening folks, got a question about lens choice and hope you kind folk can give me some advice as always!

I have a friends wedding coming up in a few months and would like to get some decent shots of my own (without bothering the pro photographer) I'm a landscape guy first and foremost so most of my kit is tailored to that passion, I have an 17-55 2.8, 50mm 2.8 and a Tokina 12-14 2.8. I was looking at getting a 70-200 as I can always use that for landscapes after the wedding so it's not going to be a waste, I like shots with lots bokeh in them, is a zoom lens better at achieving this over say my 50mm prime? Is there a lens that I've not considered that isn't too expensive that I could sell on after?

Thanks in advance

S

Is the 50 lens a 1.8 or a 2.8? The 70-200 would be a good lens but your bokeh (no matter which lens and being as you're going to be a stealth shooter) will depend on how far the official photog has the couple away from the background and how far you want to be from the photog; more the former than the latter. The latter will depend on whether or not you want to be yelled at by him/her for poaching. :)

How do you shoot? Are you a zoom or prime shooter? I guess if you want sharpness and broken you want primes and if you want primes you want L as it's fast glass and sharp (mostly). But how deep is your wallet?

24/1.4 L mk2
35/1.4 L mk2
35/1.4 Art
50/1.4 Art
85/1.4 Art
85/1.2 L mk2
100/2.8 L
135/2.0 L
135/1.8 Art
70-200/2.8 L mk2

Ps how do you shoot? I know a lot of photographers lean towards the 70-200 but I don't like that focal length, found it to be too impersonal, you get hardly any context and thus I don't have a 70-200.

Last edited:
Is the 50 lens a 1.8 or a 2.8? The 70-200 would be a good lens but your bokeh (no matter which lens and being as you're going to be a stealth shooter) will depend on how far the official photog has the couple away from the background and how far you want to be from the photog; more the former than the latter. The latter will depend on whether or not you want to be yelled at by him/her for poaching. :)

It's a 1.8, believe me I don't want to get in the way of the pro tog, I sat on here one night and read all the wedding togs stories about "Uncle Bobs" so I will be keeping my distance so not to get in the way [emoji23]

400 2.8 :D

In all honesty, as good as a 70-200 would be, they're massive. You don't want to be lugging that around with you all day and night. I would go for an 85 1.8. From your list of lenses I'm assuming you're shooting crop so it would offer an effective fov to that of a ~125-130mm lens. That's a nice FL for candids and will give you more bokeh and soft OOF areas than you know what to do with. They're relatively cheap too.

Just my 2 penneth.

In all honesty, as good as a 70-200 would be, they're massive. You don't want to be lugging that around with you all day and night. I would go for an 85 1.8. From your list of lenses I'm assuming you're shooting crop so it would offer an effective fov to that of a ~125-130mm lens. That's a nice FL for candids and will give you more bokeh and soft OOF areas than you know what to do with. They're relatively cheap too.

Just my 2 penneth.

Thanks minnnt, doing some post snooping and it looks like the 85mm is a popular choice, I agree I don't want to be carrying a huge arsenal of gear around as at some point in the day I want to enjoy a few sherberts so will need to pop up to the room and ditch the gear! Thanks for the tips [emoji106]

If you rock up with a 70-200 people will think either A) you're the tog or B) you're a bit of a berk when you turn out not to be.

The 85mm is a good shout and give you something you don't already have.

If you rock up with a 70-200 people will think either A) you're the tog or B) you're a bit of a berk when you turn out not to be.

The 85mm is a good shout and give you something you don't already have.

Haha yes I would like to blend in to wedding party without any issues!

Just my 2 penneth.

Minnnt is that 85 an FX lens?

Just my 2 penneth.
This^
It was my favourite focal length on crop.

The caveat:
It's a personal choice, there's no saying you'll get on with it.

Last edited:
but come on its easier to advice if the op would say what camera its for:confused:
Exactly - it's not so hot on FF.

however, looking at the OP's other lenses, I'd guessed he's a crop shooter.

To be honest I know the op wants to take some shots but I would leave the camera at home and enjoy the day

I'm assuming it's crop body? If you want bokeh get a 50mm f1.4 or 85mm f1.4, although 85mm 'may' be a bit long depending on the shots you want, how much room there is, whether you also want group shots as well etc etc.

As a guest though you're unlikely to get the best shots/vantage point and a zoom could be better due to the flexibility. I went to two weddings last year and took the 24-120mm f4 (on FF) and came away with nice shots, and some 'nice' bokeh. I'd say the 17-55mm f2.8 would be fine tbh.

I have a friends wedding coming up in a few months and would like to get some decent shots of my own (without bothering the pro photographer)
What shots are you planning on taking? - any long lens shot at the ceremony is either going to bother the pro, or it's going to annoy the guests around you.

The obvious answer to me is to forget the tele lengths, either go with a 35mm and stick to candids or leave the DSLR at home and take a nice discrete compact.

Thanks for the tips folks! I'm going to go with my 17-55 but treat myself to a 85mm, don't want to rock up with a 70-200 and get in the way of the pro [emoji23]

Something often overlooked by wedding guests.. where are you going to put your camera during the meal? Place settings are usually a little tight so no room for a DSLR on the table (it also looks naff, when the bride spent a week deciding on the table decorations), hanging it over you chair and the serving staff will be knocking it regularly.

Compact or phone.. you know it's the right thing to do..

Leave the camera at home and enjoy your day!

I wish i practiced what i preach. :)

I have done 2 weddings and used 35/85 combo and nothing else and it went well but have now swapped to a 28/50 combo which suits me better.

Matching that on a crop is not always cheap or easy though.

Leave the camera at home and enjoy your day!

I wish i practiced what i preach. :)
I was told to leave my camera at home when I made a similar enquiry last year. However I ignored the advice and glad I did as I enjoyed the day more (I'm not much of a wedding person ;))

I was told to leave my camera at home when I made a similar enquiry last year. However I ignored the advice and glad I did as I enjoyed the day more (I'm not much of a wedding person ;))
Nor me so bloody boring! I have one in may and I'll be ignoring my own advice too! :)

I might just take the xt1 and 27mm though and see if it fits in my jacket pocket.

I would suggest renting a lens rather than buying then you don't have to think about if/when you'd use it after the wedding.

I would suggest renting a lens rather than buying then you don't have to think about if/when you'd use it after the wedding.
I get the impression it's just an excuse to buy a new lens tbh ;)

Back