Best lens for group shots

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

So I've recently upgraded to a Sony A7 ii and just a kit lens 28-70mm with it. Would do christenings family pictures and individual photos and group party's etc but I'd like to know from everyone here what lens would yous recommend for these type of shots before I make a purchase.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks,
Sean

Focal length range maybe. Certainly not IQ & light gathering though.

The thing with light gathering is that it might not be compatible with group pictures.

ie, If wanting a wider aperture than the 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 offers the trade off for that wider aperture is less depth of field and that could matter for a group shot.

Quality wise, I think the kit lens is adequate and stopped down I think it's ok or at least only nit pickers on forums like us will find fault with it. Normal people might be happy enough.

Other than all that... I recommend the Sony 35mm f1.8 as a good companion to a variable aperture zoom for low light shallow DoF use. Some will bemoan its CA but it does have its positives too.

PS.
Maybe the Sony 55mm f1.8 to better avoid perspective distortion if shooting close to people.

Last edited:
The thing with light gathering is that it might not be compatible with group pictures.

ie, If wanting a wider aperture than the 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 offers the trade off for that wider aperture is less depth of field and that could matter for a group shot.
Exactly this.

Plus light gathering is rarely an issue with modern sensors. I don't know where the A7ii starts to degrade but I bet it's usable at ISO6400. If it's not the then right solution is to add some light, not get a faster lens.

Image Quality wise.. probably be ok unless you're really picky. Focus speed and accuracy might be more of an issue.
Basically, try what you've got for a bit and only upgrade when you've worked out why it can't do the job*

*For critical / commercial shoots hire a lens.

Back